Some advice for a Law student?

Semisama

Jul 7, 2023
I’d just like some advice on what to do in my position.

I’m about to graduate with a 2.1 LLB from a good uni, and I really want to start working when possible but I’m having trouble getting to even the interview stages. I’ve spoken to my uni’s career services and professors multiple times and they liked my CV, while also providing valuable feedback to make it better. I have multiple forms of legal experiences which show my interest to work in the legal sector, and I’ve had three internships (two in person, one online during the pandemic).

I think my main problem is that my in-person internships were undertaken outside of the UK. I’m an international student and whenever possible I return home, so I apply to work to internships there too. These internships come from globally renowned companies and all are Tier 1 firms on Legal 500, so there's no question to their caliber or competitiveness. For example I worked at Dentons, but this was in my home country. I do understand how working outside of the UK legal sector may not necessarily add up as experience, but I’m still at a loss as to why it wouldn’t be considered valuable.

My parents would like me to go back home and take the Bar exams, as it’s only 12 months and afterwards I would be qualified as a lawyer. In those 9 months I could accomplish a lot to establish myself further. They mentioned that qualifying at home would significantly enhance my skills and make me more employable in the UK, make me stand out, but I can’t help wondering if this would actually have such an impact.

I’m not against it as my plan has always been to qualify in multiple jurisdictions, but would it really have a positive impact towards me entering a graduate program, getting a TC or starting off as a paralegal? I feel as if I need to gain more experience and to do that I may need to stay in the UK. Doing the bar exams at home may just push back the amount of time I intend to achieve this goal, and this is a competitive market. I need to get my foot in the door first.

I plan to complete the SQE as I want to become a solicitor, and I feel as if I should apply for the SQE + LLM in January so I have more time to go ahead and upskill myself during my enrollment. My professors have suggested for me to volunteer to add to my cv, so I’m taking this summer to do it and so far I’m overjoyed, but I still feel lost. Maybe I’m missing something I can’t see. Any advice? I know my mind is a bit scattered, but anything helps.

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
Hey @Semisama,

First, I’d like to congratulate you on all your achievements up until this point. It is easy to be future oriented at uncertain and transitional periods of our life, but it is also important to pat ourselves on the bat for what we have achieved up until this point.

Second, I know that ”scattered mind” feeling, especially when you are at cross roads. It is really difficult to choose one, focused path when you have many voices telling you what you should and shouldn’t do. So, please take some time to think about what you want. Do you want to go back home and study to the bar? Do you want to study/work in the UK? Sometimes, the right path opens up to us when we stop and thinking about what would make you happy, especially when these legal courses and jobs will take up a huge portion of our time and energy.

Third, I have to admit that I do not really have much experience and/or expertise in the area of qualifying abroad and then coming to the UK. It has crossed my mind that I’d like to qualify elsewhere once qualified in this country as I do believe dual (or more!) qualifications could help me in my career progression at international firms. However, qualifying elsewhere first, in my opinion, might hinder your applications because the firms might not see you as being dedicated to your UK practice. Not only that but it really isn’t essential to be qualified elsewhere so I am struggling to see the value in it if your aim is to practice law in the UK. Of course, on the reverse, some firms might love it as see it as exemplifying your passion for law. Moreover, if you really want to work back at home eventually, you might want to keep that qualification on the back burner until you are ready.

Overall, if the only reason you want to qualify at home is because you think it would improve your applications, I would say there are much easier and shorter and more valuable ways of doing that (completing, as you are already, some volunteering and pursuing more legal experience and improving upon your commercial awareness). I agree that getting your foot in the door should be your first aim and spending good amounts of time perfecting your applications and completing the SQE would be your best bet! You can always make time for further qualifications in the future.

Good luck with your journey and please do keep us updated!

Hope this helps - Laura :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I would stress that qualifying outside of the U.K. is probably only going to make you more employable in the U.K. if you gain 2-3 years of directly comparable experience (eg working on similar matters/deal sizes etc).

There is a risk that once you qualify in another country you will be over qualified but under experienced - because of the SQE you won’t need a training contract (foreign qualified lawyers don’t need to gain two years of qualifying work experience) but you will not be comparable to a newly qualified lawyer’s experience when they have gone through a traditional training contract.

If you can dedicate 3 years to a career in your home country and you are confident you are going to get comparable international experience, then you will potentially be more employable as a dual qualified lawyer with experience.

Reactions: laurabeaumont

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.