Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica

I was just wondering, seeing as I am currently about to start my penultimate year of a 3 year law course, will I be required to sit the SQE or the LPC? I would much prefer the established method of the LPC and the attractiveness of a law firm paying for this definitely helps. If this is correct, would I be starting my training contract in 2024? (First year: 2020/21 Second Year: 2021/22 Final Year: 2022/23 LPC: 2023/24).

Kindest regards
You could take the LPC - you’ll be eligible to do so where you started a qualifying law degree before 21 September 2021.

However, you might not get to choose. Many firms will tell you which route they will be supporting you through, and because this is the last year non-law grads can take the GDL, many of the 2024 intakes will transition to the SQE, as there won’t be a pool on non-law graduates (eg this years final year non-law grads) who can take the GDL/LPC route.

Many firms are choosing to have a consistent route to qualification across their trainee intake given the significant differences in the qualification route, timings, costs and things like employment rights.

So it is going to more likely depend on who you secure TC offer(s) with rather than what you want to do.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
I agree with the above. My son's friend is just starting the GDL (so starting Sept 2021) as that big law firm who is sponsoring the person is keeping to LPC route for those starting training contracts in 2023 (but I am not sure about 2024 - that might be a "big switchover" year for firms - which would be your year)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.