SQE1 Self Study - please clarify the following for me - do we need to know specific sections - can anyone clarify the specification?

prospectus

Jan 7, 2024
Hi all

as you can see from my account I am relatively new here, although I have browsed this forum many times before.

for a number of reasons, I have decided to sit SQE1 independently, with only Revise SQE materials. I did use Bridgitte's Notes but unfortunately found multiple spelling errors / other inaccuracies that dented my confidence in the materials.

I have tailored my revision to the specification found on the SRA website, and although I would say the Revise SQE materials are mostly helpful, I have noticed the odd error and in some instances I have used the internet to find more information, for example specific sections on the Companies Act 2006.

FLK1 and FLK2 are now not long away at all and I'm really worried I haven't prepared properly. I have spent lots of time going over the specific sections within the CA 2006, and other legislation, to get the precise sub-sections to incorporate into my notes. However, I am unsure if I am going into too much detail here? And because I have spent lots of time doing that I am worried I have neglected other topics. The amount of stuff we need to know is overwhelming me.

so my questions are:

1. do we need to know specific sections / sub-sections of legislation like CA 2006? I have spent a very long time crafting a perfect procedure plan for incorporating a company from scratch, directors duties, loans to directors for example - and I am worried that actually the sections are not required knowledge (rather, just the steps). Given I have effectively a week left until the exams, I'd like to know if I can abandon trying to recall the sections etc and just focus on the actual law itself in outline.

2. as I am self-studying I have relied on the specification. however I am worried that it is overly vague and much of the terminology is vacuous and so open-ended. For example, "company decision-making and meetings: procedural, disclosure and approval requirements" to me is pretty vague - going back to point 1, I have no idea if they expect us to know the sections verbatim, or generally how much detail they expect us to go into. Any clarification re the specification would be much appreciated - can anyone tell me what the course providers' specifications/learning guides say? do they provide any clarification or do they just revert back to the specification?

To anyone who replies, I cannot thank you enough for your assistance. good luck to all sitting shortly.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.