SRA Character and Suitability

BigBadWolf

Feb 9, 2022
Hi all,

Almost a decade ago, I was stopped and searched along with my friend as he was smoking a cannabis joint.

I recently completed a Met Police SRA which came back with 'no further action' and under the Arrest section it states 'not applicable'.

Apart from this incident, my record is clean - my ACRO SRA also came back as "No Trace" and, since the above incident, Enhanced along with Standard DBS checks have always come back with no issues.

I have a TC and am hoping to qualify within the next few years, is this something I would have to declare to the SRA?

Thanks all

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all,

Almost a decade ago, I was stopped and searched along with my friend as he was smoking a cannabis joint.

I recently completed a Met Police SRA which came back with 'no further action' and under the Arrest section it states 'not applicable'.

Apart from this incident, my record is clean - my ACRO SRA also came back as "No Trace" and, since the above incident, Enhanced along with Standard DBS checks have always come back with no issues.

I have a TC and am hoping to qualify within the next few years, is this something I would have to declare to the SRA?

Thanks all
Did you accept a caution, or were you just stopped and searched?

Reactions: BigBadWolf

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for clarifying that! Feeling a little relieved now.
No worries - think of it this way, lots of people are stopped and search who are innocent. It is only if you accept a caution (which admits guilt) or receive some form of charge that you are then found guilty of, that it would be a problem.

I have known several people get approval from the SRA with cautions though, so even if this was the situation, it wouldn’t necessarily be a end to your legal career.

• ℹ️
Reactions: AvniD and BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf

Feb 9, 2022
No worries - think of it this way, lots of people are stopped and search who are innocent. It is only if you accept a caution (which admits guilt) or receive some form of charge that you are then found guilty of, that it would be a problem.

I have known several people get approval from the SRA with cautions though, so even if this was the situation, it wouldn’t necessarily be a end to your legal career.
It's just that I'm getting mixed opinions on this. Some people are saying I should declare it because the SRA can simply ask my local force and if I don't declare said situation, this would put my honesty and integrity in disrepute.

According to the evidence, I was not charged and NFA was taken on the matter.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It's just that I'm getting mixed opinions on this. Some people are saying I should declare it because the SRA can simply ask my local force and if I don't declare said situation, this would put my honesty and integrity in disrepute.

According to the evidence, I was not charged and NFA was taken on the matter.
The SRA are not going to ask your local force. They don't even know who your local force was.

Also, you could be stopped and searched anywhere in the UK, not just your local area. And so if the SRA were to do a full search, they would need to search every police force in the UK. And even then it doesn't account for something happening outside of the UK.

You were just searched. This literally happens to hundreds of thousands of innocent people each year, and for some people it happens regularly. They wouldn't have to declare this, so why would you need to?

Yes, the system requires you to self-declare, but you have not had any charges against you. You were just stopped and searched - there is no crime committed in only being searched. It is a bit like you being pulled over in a car as part of a routine check - would you expect someone to declare this to the SRA?

The only time you'd need to consider this is if you accepted a caution. If that is the case, then you should declare it.

Reactions: BigBadWolf

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.