Stephenson Harwood VS 2023-2024

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
This is going to be a bit of a silly question, but do you HAVE to apply for a VS to the office you would want to join as a trainee or can you apply for one of their international offices even if your goal may be to work in London? 👀

@Jaysen Thank you!! :)

Reactions: Lopez2017

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This is going to be a bit of a silly question, but do you HAVE to apply for a VS to the office you would want to join as a trainee or can you apply for one of their international offices even if your goal may be to work in London? 👀

@Jaysen Thank you!! :)
You should apply for the location you want to be a trainee at. The firm won’t easily be able to consider you for a TC if you are interning at another location. That also works for different offices within the U.K. too.

You don’t HAVE to apply to the same office, but you are making your chances of converting the training contract more difficult if you do apply for a VS elsewhere.

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
You should apply for the location you want to be a trainee at. The firm won’t easily be able to consider you for a TC if you are interning at another location. That also works for different offices within the U.K. too.

You don’t HAVE to apply to the same office, but you are making your chances of converting the training contract more difficult if you do apply for a VS elsewhere.
Suppose you just wanted to get some experience working in an international office, even if you weren't 100% sure about the firm and a TC wasn't the main concern, how should a candidate go about applying for a VS in a different office? I am going to get in touch with someone from the recruiting team to get their advice, but based on your experience, do you think it's more competitive for a UK student/resident to get a VS spot in, say, the Dubai office than the local student?

Thank you so much :))

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Suppose you just wanted to get some experience working in an international office, even if you weren't 100% sure about the firm and a TC wasn't the main concern, how should a candidate go about applying for a VS in a different office? I am going to get in touch with someone from the recruiting team to get their advice, but based on your experience, do you think it's more competitive for a UK student/resident to get a VS spot in, say, the Dubai office than the local student?

Thank you so much :))
A vacation scheme is generally a recruitment tool to hire talent into that office - it isn’t done just to build out people’s CV/give them experience. They are usually looking for people who they can convert into trainees into that location.

There will be exceptions to this, but that’s the general rule.

For Dubai based opportunities, I would expect you’d need to have some level of fluency in Arabic or have some form of ties to the region, and so if you didn’t have them it would be more challenging to secure an internship there than in the UK

Lopez2017

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 11, 2023
A vacation scheme is generally a recruitment tool to hire talent into that office - it isn’t done just to build out people’s CV/give them experience. They are usually looking for people who they can convert into trainees into that location.

There will be exceptions to this, but that’s the general rule.

For Dubai based opportunities, I would expect you’d need to have some level of fluency in Arabic or have some form of ties to the region, and so if you didn’t have them it would be more challenging to secure an internship there than in the UK
I’ve also been advised that it’s a mistake to think that a firm’s offices outside of London are easier to land a VS…
… there’s still lots of competition and grad rec can sniff it out with a lack of ties to the region.

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
I’ve also been advised that it’s a mistake to think that a firm’s offices outside of London are easier to land a VS…
… there’s still lots of competition and grad rec can sniff it out with a lack of ties to the region.
Are you considering applying? Also my motivation isn't because I think it will be easier. I do think if anything, as Jessica already pointed out, it will be more challenging due to lack of ties to the region and why not London since it should be the obvious choice since I live in the UK.

Lopez2017

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 11, 2023
Are you considering applying? Also my motivation isn't because I think it will be easier. I do think if anything, as Jessica already pointed out, it will be more challenging due to lack of ties to the region and why not London since it should be the obvious choice since I live in the UK.
I applied in October - dead certain it’s a PFO with not a whisper

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This is very true! Particularly for firms with regional offices, it is a real blight - they have had decades of people applying to what they deem is a less competitive office and then either at TC conversion point, post TC offer or even upon qualification, the candidate asks to move to London. They want to build up a talent pipeline in that location, and so have become pretty strict in explaining this type of transfer doesn’t happen easily, and in some cases just make the person reapply to the other office.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.