Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    In answer to a question about structuring legal research:

It’s difficult to offer general advice because firms have different formatting styles, partners have different preferences and the task may require a particular style, but, a few tips I can suggest.

First, you should be getting IT training during the first day or two. This is a question worth asking in terms of the numbering format for your firm – ours is 1/1.1/1.2 etc.

Second, check with the person who sets you the task whether they have are particular style they prefer. If it’s a senior then I’d suggest asking your trainee buddy or a secretary for suggestions.

Third, try to understand what the task requires. It’s not usually so rigid – unless the person has asked for a particular format. I can’t say I’ve ever included purpose and rarely an intro/conclusion. Typically, I’ll do a summary of my findings (sometimes in bullet points) and then provide more detail in the body of the report. The key is that the partner/supervisor can get to the important points quickly. Then, if they want more guidance on how you got there, they’ll read the main body.

If you’re confused, make a start and then check in with the supervisor/partner to see if you're doing it right. Trainees do that a lot in practice - it stops you wasting time and it shows you're proactive when you're not sure.

NMD

Star Member
    Feb 17, 2019
    Hello! I was wondering whether there are any examples of legal research individuals have carried out? Just to see the type of standard expected. Also, where do you start with this research? Is it from particular databases, online reports?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.