Taylor Wessing Application

Mash239

Oct 11, 2019
I've just started the TW application and I found some questions written in quite broad language. Would appreciate hearing anyone's thoughts on these:

We strive for excellence for our clients and people. What will drive you to succeed at Taylor Wessing? (250 words max)
  • Are they asking what will drive us to succeed in general or what will drive us to succeed at Taylor Wessing?
  • I presume if they are asking about TW that they are asking you to list their competencies and your experiences that demonstrate them?
Working with innovative and fast paced clients means our lawyers need more than just legal expertise. What other key attributes would you bring to the firm? (250 words max)*
  • Isn't this question the same as the above, just re-worded? They just want you to list their competencies and your experiences that demonstrate them right?

What types of innovation will drive growth at Taylor Wessing? (250 words max)*
  • "Types of innovation" is very broad. Are they asking for specific innovations or general innovation techniques..?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
1) What will drive you to succeed at TW. That isn't really about looking back at your past experiences, it is more about looking forward and what attitudes and motivations you will bring. You can be the most technical superstar lawyer ever, but if you have no drive to do the job you won't be very good at it

2) This is about your attributes - this is the question where you would show evidence of how/when you have developed those attributes.

3) Either - it is purposely a broad question, and probably to TW there are both specific innovations and general innovation techniques they will use.

• ℹ️
Reactions: MG1996 and em311

Mash239

Oct 11, 2019
1) What will drive you to succeed at TW. That isn't really about looking back at your past experiences, it is more about looking forward and what attitudes and motivations you will bring. You can be the most technical superstar lawyer ever, but if you have no drive to do the job you won't be very good at it

2) This is about your attributes - this is the question where you would show evidence of how/when you have developed those attributes.

3) Either - it is purposely a broad question, and probably to TW there are both specific innovations and general innovation techniques they will use.

Hi Jessica thank you so much for your thoughts!

For 1, if this is a forward-looking answer, how would I evidence my alleged motivations and attitudes if I don't look at my past experiences?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica thank you so much for your thoughts!

For 1, if this is a forward-looking answer, how would I evidence my alleged motivations and attitudes if I don't look at my past experiences?

If that’s where your drive come from, then you can reference them - you just don’t need to detail them (the detail is likely to be elsewhere in your application anyway).

This question is basically why are you going to drive your career forward in this firm, not what has driven you in the past.

Reactions: TT98 and Mash239

TT98

Star Member
Sep 27, 2020
Hi, if you don't mind me adding to this thread, the TW application also asks:

Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do. Why is inclusion important to you? (250 words max)

I have found this question quite difficult as I am unsure what attributes they are trying to extract from me? Inclusion is very important to me but I am having difficulty conveying this.

I have explained why inclusion is important to me (including my background etc) and I have explained why inclusion is important in the workplace, but the question does not ask this. Shall I just focus on why inclusion is important to myself and initiatives I have helped to implement to support this?

I feel like my answer to this question is very weak compared to the rest of my application.

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do. Why is inclusion important to you? (250 words max)

I have found this question quite difficult as I am unsure what attributes they are trying to extract from me? Inclusion is very important to me but I am having difficulty conveying this.

I have explained why inclusion is important to me (including my background etc) and I have explained why inclusion is important in the workplace, but the question does not ask this. Shall I just focus on why inclusion is important to myself and initiatives I have helped to implement to support this?

I feel like my answer to this question is very weak compared to the rest of my application.

Thank you!

They are trying to extract whether you align to their value/belief in inclusion. If you have any examples where you have actively encouraged an inclusive environment, it’s a good opportunity to highlight them.

Mash239

Oct 11, 2019

Thank you!
Hi TT, I just wanted to ask how you tackled the Innovation question. I'm really stumped and I'm not sure how to approach this.

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
Jul 29, 2018
Hi @Jessica Booker - for the third question in relation to innovation, are we expected to provide examples of innovations that TW has implemented in the past (which has driven growth) or should we provide original suggestions for innovations that will drive growth in the future? I am not really sure whether the question is looking for the former or the latter. Thank you so much! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker - for the third question in relation to innovation, are we expected to provide examples of innovations that TW has implemented in the past (which has driven growth) or should we provide original suggestions for innovations that will drive growth in the future? I am not really sure whether the question is looking for the former or the latter. Thank you so much! :)

I think it’s open to either.

aiste

Jan 2, 2021
for question 3 (about the innovation), are they talking about innovative techniques that taylor wessing can implement (like organisation of the firm) or innovation in different sectors that would allow taylor wessing to provide legal assistance for?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
for question 3 (about the innovation), are they talking about innovative techniques that taylor wessing can implement (like organisation of the firm) or innovation in different sectors that would allow taylor wessing to provide legal assistance for?

I think it is purposely open to either

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
@Jessica Booker I was wondering if I could ask about the 'greatest achievement of your academic career' question. I don't have any prizes/recognition for anything during my undergrad, or a particularly high mark in my dissertation so am struggling to think of what to put here. Although, I was awarded a scholarship for the gdl would that be relevant here? I have already detailed it in the awards/scholarships etc section though and it almost feels like it wouldn't be that great of an answer to say that being awarded a scholarship was my greatest achievement. Thanks for your help!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I was wondering if I could ask about the 'greatest achievement of your academic career' question. I don't have any prizes/recognition for anything during my undergrad, or a particularly high mark in my dissertation so am struggling to think of what to put here. Although, I was awarded a scholarship for the gdl would that be relevant here? I have already detailed it in the awards/scholarships etc section though and it almost feels like it wouldn't be that great of an answer to say that being awarded a scholarship was my greatest achievement. Thanks for your help!

I guess it depends on what conditions you were awarded the scholarship. Some are very competitive and require a lot of thought process, others are just awarded with little effort from the student. Really depends on which end of the scale it is.

You could have a high performing module, you could have just been proud of the outcome of a project/essay/dissertation (doesn’t just have to be a grade that is an outcome of success). It might be that you weren’t very strong in a subject and had to work harder to achieve a good grade.

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
I guess it depends on what conditions you were awarded the scholarship. Some are very competitive and require a lot of thought process, others are just awarded with little effort from the student. Really depends on which end of the scale it is.

You could have a high performing module, you could have just been proud of the outcome of a project/essay/dissertation (doesn’t just have to be a grade that is an outcome of success). It might be that you weren’t very strong in a subject and had to work harder to achieve a good grade.

Ahh yes, I'm not sure how competitive the scholarship is if i'm honest which is probably why I feel like it wouldn't be strong answer.
Thank you, those ideas really help! I think I might go down the route of working hard on a module that pushed me outside my comfort zone

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.