TC Application Writing Group

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Hi friends!

I mentioned the idea of starting a weekly application writing group in the vacation scheme thread. The suggestion seems to have received some positive responses!

As a former graduate student, I think writing groups can be incredibly helpful for discussing one’s work with peers in a lower-stakes environment. They can offer us a place to consider a different approach to our applications. Not only that, but there is evidence from psychological research that thinking about problems in relation to people who are geographically distant can increase creativity!

For now, @S87 recommended that we should meet virtually around April to make a list of firms that offer direct training contract applications and give each other some advice. After that, we can schedule weekly meetings in May to discuss our progress and give each other feedback. We can discuss more of these details in early/mid April, deciding the best way to divide up our writing.

There's one final thing worth mentioning here: The TCLA application review service is a great resource! After we've all worked through some of our writing together by mid-June, I would recommend using the application review service to get one final set of edits on your work. I've used the service a handful of times and it's been enlightening to say the least.

Open to further suggestions! Feel free to direct message me :)

Last edited:

ofm

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 14, 2021
    I'm interested as well - the only thing is my job is very demanding and I may not be able to attend every week. Will that be an issue for those in the group? Thanks!

Reactions: Adrian_S

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I'm interested as well - the only thing is my job is very demanding and I may not be able to attend every week. Will that be an issue for those in the group? Thanks!
    Hey nice to have you on board!
    We don’t plan to meet every week because we are all busy with our jobs and personal lives. So, feel free to join us and make your contribution.

Reactions: ofm and Adrian_S

QueenieM

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Feb 16, 2021
    Hi friends!

I mentioned the idea of starting a weekly application writing group in the vacation scheme thread. The suggestion seems to have received some positive responses!

As a former graduate student, I think writing groups can be incredibly helpful for discussing one’s work with peers in a lower-stakes environment. They can offer us a place to consider a different approach to our applications. Not only that, but there is evidence from psychological research that thinking about problems in relation to people who are geographically distant can increase creativity!

For now, @S87 recommended that we should meet virtually around April to make a list of firms that offer direct training contract applications and give each other some advice. After that, we can schedule weekly meetings in May to discuss our progress and give each other feedback. We can discuss more of these details in early/mid April, deciding the best way to divide up our writing.

There's one final thing worth mentioning here: The TCLA application review service is a great resource! After we've all worked through some of our writing together by mid-June, I would recommend using the application review service to get one final set of edits on your work. I've used the service a handful of times and it's been enlightening to say the least.

Open to further suggestions! Feel free to direct message me :)

I am interested to join this TC application writing group, please count me in. This is a fantastic idea to give each other feedback and ways to improve their application writing skills.

- Queenie Man, LLB final year law student

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.