TC Application Writing Group

Tonye

Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jul 31, 2021
    Hi friends!

I mentioned the idea of starting a weekly application writing group in the vacation scheme thread. The suggestion seems to have received some positive responses!

As a former graduate student, I think writing groups can be incredibly helpful for discussing one’s work with peers in a lower-stakes environment. They can offer us a place to consider a different approach to our applications. Not only that, but there is evidence from psychological research that thinking about problems in relation to people who are geographically distant can increase creativity!

For now, @S87 recommended that we should meet virtually around April to make a list of firms that offer direct training contract applications and give each other some advice. After that, we can schedule weekly meetings in May to discuss our progress and give each other feedback. We can discuss more of these details in early/mid April, deciding the best way to divide up our writing.

There's one final thing worth mentioning here: The TCLA application review service is a great resource! After we've all worked through some of our writing together by mid-June, I would recommend using the application review service to get one final set of edits on your work. I've used the service a handful of times and it's been enlightening to say the least.

Open to further suggestions! Feel free to direct message me :)
    Hello, Im a bit late to this but I'm interested as well!

Reactions: George Maxwell

lawful_neutral216

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 5, 2020
    Had to take a short break from the forum due to some personal circumstances, so I'm just catching up on the threads now! If it's not too late, I would love to join since I'll be drafting Direct TC apps as well.

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Hello, Im a bit late to this but I'm interested as well!
    I am interested. Very excited about this.
    Also @sunflowerducks @GXA123, @Asil Ahmad and anyone else following, why not start a little chat between you (using the direct conversation function) and just start exchanging applications? This is really easily done, especially if you all organise a Zoom call and set some boundaries - eg who might submit to the group when, how the feedback will work (tracked changes), and how you are researching. We also talked about confidentiality.

Thoroughly recommended just as a way to get started.

@Raynz shared a really helpful video from Sim's Legal Mentoring (YouTube, linked below - and remember, you can watch on double speed!! ) re researching firms, which is something people seemed to be struggling with (me included). I've upgraded the worksheet that Simranjeet includes with her video - the original is here and my jazzed up version (smaller typeface, landscape, a few extra boxes)....

Hope that helps to kick start another ongoing support group!

Attachments

• A LAW FIRM RESEARCH TEMPLATE.docx
      127.3 KB · Views: 23
    • Researching template (2).docx
      47.1 KB · Views: 21
    Last edited:

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    And just in case anyone needs another nudge, this is Idin's latest email about 'FlowHuddle':

This week's FlowHuddle will be taking as usual, on Saturday.

I mentioned the community space I'm testing out in last week's email.

Here's the link if you want to join.

If you check it out before this week's session, let me know your thoughts - (there's currently only one member - me, lol - but hopefully you can still get the sense of what it could be).
    mail
    This is what the FlowHuddle community homepage looks like
    Here's the link to this week's FlowHuddle session as well as the button to add it straight to your calendar. 👇

...or add the event to calendar​

Apple Google Office 365 Outlook Outlook.com Yahoo
    The structure of the session is...
    • 11:00 - A quick kick-off chat to see what we're all going to work on
    • 11:10 - 50 minute deep work Huddle #1
    • 12:00 - We’ll have a break for 10 minutes (you can either leave the room or stay and chat)
    • 12:10 - 50 minute deep work Huddle #2
    • 1pm - 5 minute check-in and, after that, you can get back to your weekend!
    So, in summary, 2 x 50 minute working sessions(with a break in the middle).
    As always, forward this email to any friends, housemates or colleagues. I'm always looking to grow this community so if you have any ideas for how best to spread the word, let me know.

Hope to see you at the Huddle!
    Idin

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Just in case anyone is still wondering what Idin's FlowHuddle is about, he posted on LinkedIn recently and has had a load of new interest:

Would love to know how you find using it Alison?

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Would love to know how you find using it Alison?
    I find it really helpful - it's one of those events that sort of comes in the middle of a nice empty patch (ie the timing can feel mildly annoying) but somehow enables me to focus on something in particular. I've been a number of times and only missed it when I had an event or holiday. Some weeks I do firm research or force myself to write part of an application question; some weeks I do something totally unrelated to the law, like the French homework I never seem to find time for (I'm doing a class). And a good crowd of regulars from various corners of the world turns up each week. It's usually only a few of us and I don't know how the admin will work if suddenly there really are 40 people online who don't know each other but at worst you can quietly get on and mute the sound. It's helping me to feel a bit more relaxed about my use of time, and to ensure that I put my phone to one side more often. Idin is a very personable host and it's a good focus for Saturday.

Recommended.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.