TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey, the more research I do the more interested I have become in family law and really wanted to make sure this is an option for me in the future. Is it recommended I only apply to firms where family law is a seat and department, or is it better to hedge my bets and apply to more firms for training and switch after qualification (if that is even a thing?) to family law if I still want to do so? Sorry if a dim question as I am new to this!
It would be best to train and qualify with a firm with a strong family law practice area. There will be hundreds of law firms that do family law, that I don’t think you’d need to compromise by applying to law firms that don’t work in that field just to hedge your bets.

Family law is so different to commercial law. It requires a different skill set and mentality. There is also far less money in it, which means you just won’t see as many firm’s names advertised in the way you will do with the big commercial firms.

There will be some commercial firms that offer family law services though, but many family law firms are much smaller practices, often providing services to local clients.

Reactions: George Maxwell

Zacher

Mar 31, 2022
Has anyone actually received a post-AC PFO from FF yet ?
What is PFO? Someone was rejected last week. That is why my hope levels have gone down. Cuz they have probably selected whom they want by now. Can somebody tell if any law firm has offered TCs after 5 weeks from AC, or is it most likely rejection?

Last edited:

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I am doing the Dentons direct TC application and one of their questions is

Tell us about a challenge you have overcome that showcases your ambition and drive

I got 3 examples that I can use but wanted advice on which example will be best for this.

1 -Mentoring primary school students when one of the students did not focus and I helped him succeed
    2 - During my previous paralegal role where I was not familiar with software and learned how to use the software in my own time.

Which example would you lot say is better and also do I have to use STAR for this question.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Tell us about a challenge you have overcome that showcases your ambition and drive

I got 3 examples that I can use but wanted advice on which example will be best for this.

1 -Mentoring primary school students when one of the students did not focus and I helped him succeed
    2 - During my previous paralegal role where I was not familiar with software and learned how to use the software in my own time.

Which example would you lot say is better and also do I have to use STAR for this question.

What is the third example?

Which one do you think shows your ambition and drive the most?

John Doe

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 18, 2021
    Hi everyone! Since I am having my first AC in several weeks' time, I am thinking about how to prepare for group exercise. I found many useful tips and advice from the brilliant TCLA Team, but I have some follow-up questions:

1. Is it true that group exercise can broadly be divided into negotiation and co-operation? (perhaps there is a better term for the latter?)

2. For the latter, what might the format usually be like? For example, do law firms usually provide questions and materials and let candidates to discuss and work out the answer on their own within the given time? While the HR would be observing the group from the side?

Thank you!

Reactions: George Maxwell

John Doe

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 18, 2021

Hi @Asil Ahmad, I logged into Dentons portal to check out the application questions, and the ever glitchy Vantage glitched out on me as I tried to reload the page. May I double check with you that the application questions are:

Please tell us about your extracurricular activities, and any positions of responsibility you've held as part of these.
    Tell us about a challenge you have overcome that showcases your ambition and drive.
    Why have you decided to pursue a career in commercial law?
    Why have you chosen to apply to Dentons?

Are they the 4 questions that Dentons asked?

Thank you :)

Last edited:

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi @Asil Ahmad, I logged into Dentons portal to check out the application questions, and the ever glitchy Vantage glitched out on me as I tried to reload the page. May I double check with you that the application questions are:

Please tell us about your extracurricular activities, and any positions of responsibility you've held as part of these.
    Tell us about a challenge you have overcome that showcases your ambition and drive.
    Why have you decided to pursue a career in commercial law?
    Why have you chosen to apply to Dentons?

Are they the 4 questions that Dentons asked?

Thank you :)
    Yes this is correct these are the 4 questions.

Reactions: John Doe

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Oh sorry I meant 2 examples.

I think my first example shows my drive but then feel that it might not be relevant in terms of my drive and passion.

Be mindful that this is not about passion, it is asking you about ambition and drive. Ambition will be slightly different to passion - typically it means when have you set yourself high goals to achieve something, while passion is just about exploring something that is of personal interest to you. Obviously, things can cross over these two categories but my advice is to use the example you think shows you pushed yourself the most to achieve something to a high standard.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Be mindful that this is not about passion, it is asking you about ambition and drive. Ambition will be slightly different to passion - typically it means when have you set yourself high goals to achieve something, while passion is just about exploring something that is of personal interest to you. Obviously, things can cross over these two categories but my advice is to use the example you think shows you pushed yourself the most to achieve something to a high standard.
    Thank you very much for this it is really helpful.

This helps a lot and explains a lot of things more clearer.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.