TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Also got a PFO from Gibson (as expected as they’ve never given a direct TC, haha) BUT treating it as a win as they said they were impressed with my application and strongly encouraged me to apply for their vacation scheme instead :) that’s the first bit of positive feedback I’ve gotten so far so I’m taking it! Feeling re-energized to knock it out of the park with the next application 😎

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    PFO Gibson Dunn I was also told to re-apply for the Vac scheme after they said my application was strong think it was generic now
    Won’t be generic but may have gone out to a group of people who they felt were strong candidates. How big that group was though is the unknown.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: TC fiend and Legalmel_99

Mon17

Nov 15, 2018
    Does anyone have knowledge regarding doing vac schemes if you are on a tier 2 work visa with a different employer? To my knowledge I am ineligible to complete vac schemes, but that is just from my own reading of the rules

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone have knowledge regarding doing vac schemes if you are on a tier 2 work visa with a different employer? To my knowledge I am ineligible to complete vac schemes, but that is just from my own reading of the rules
    A tier 2 visa only allows you to work for your employer - you wouldn’t be able to transfer it to another employer, and the vac scheme firm is highly unlikely to apply for a visa for such a short period of work experience.

Reactions: O

Mon17

Nov 15, 2018
    A tier 2 visa only allows you to work for your employer - you wouldn’t be able to transfer it to another employer, and the vac scheme firm is highly unlikely to apply for a visa for such a short period of work experience.
    Thanks, I thought so! It's unfortunate as some firms only recruit from a vac scheme, but I was thinking of emailing them and seeing if they would consider my circumstances.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks, I thought so! It's unfortunate as some firms only recruit from a vac scheme, but I was thinking of emailing them and seeing if they would consider my circumstances.
    They can’t employ you as a vac schemer even if they wanted to. So if you do contact them, I’d ask whether you can apply for a direct TC route rather than VS.

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2019
    I am in the same situation but managed to complete one vacation scheme earlier this summer. The firm was very accommodating of my situation and allowed me to work no more than 20 hours in a week. This meant that I was compliant with the rule on tier 2 visas which states you can have a second employer for whom you work no more than 20 hours a week (as long as you remain in employment with your sponsor). However, I felt quite lucky as I doubt many firms will be this flexible.

Reactions: A M
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.