TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LauraAlturaCoaching

Coach
Mar 28, 2022
Hey @John Abram,

I am not sure I am going to be very helpful with this question honestly. But would be happy to be a sounding board. What are your thoughts so far? I know that @LauraAlturaCoaching has a lot of experience doing D&I work, so perhaps she would be a good person to help (if she has the time to reply and sees this!).

For context, what is this an application for? And where is the job?
@George Maxwell I'm so sorry I've only just seen this. @John Abram, if you would like to reach out to me about D&I, I'd be delighted to help. My email is [email protected]

IT7

Esteemed Member
  • Jun 23, 2021
    My VS application was rejected at a particular firm, but I am applying to them again in the same cycle through the Direct TC route. I was wondering, to what extent should I change my application answers for this second application?

I went through my VS application again, and I understand certain parts were not great and need changing. I will also get the application reviewed by other people and make those additional changes. However, I still think a major part of the application would remain the same for me, including the phrasing and content of the answers. And except for certain changes, I think my current application is relatively strong, since I've got through to the AC stage in other firms with similar phrased answers (not including the firm-specific differences in each answer).

So is it fine if I re-use certain paragraphs of my VS application, and just change small parts of that application that I think can be improved? Or should I re-write the entire application for the TC and change everything majorly? Further, do firms ever re-check prior applications and compare the two?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yeah, it's a law degree but not QLD
    Sorry for the questions - I just think it impacts the advice given. Have you done core law modules (eg contract/tort) but are just missing some that making it a QLD or is it something like a Scottish law degree? Just trying to work out what modules you have studied and how much overlap there would be with the GDL.

lawcurious

Distinguished Member
    Nov 23, 2021
    Bird & Bird VI!

If anyone has any suggestions or information about the type of questions etc I will be eternally grateful! This is usually the part of the application process that I fail miserably :)
    I did their vac scheme VI and i think the TC VIs are similar - they were competency and motivational questions. I'd suggest learning their core competencies that they value/look for in a trainee and keeping your motivations for why law/commercial law for the VI for sure :)
    edit: if i remember right there were 5 questions in total!

• 🏆
    Reactions: AvniD and Ameliaa

Ameliaa

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 4, 2022
    I did their vac scheme VI and i think the TC VIs are similar - they were competency and motivational questions. I'd suggest learning their core competencies that they value/look for in a trainee and keeping your motivations for why law/commercial law for the VI for sure :)
    edit: if i remember right there were 5 questions in total!
    Thank you so much for the information! I'll make sure to practice my competency/motivational question method.

I was wondering if there were any commercial awareness questions? I'm quite worried about how to answer such a question in a limited timeframe 😅

lawcurious

Distinguished Member
    Nov 23, 2021
    Thank you so much for the information! I'll make sure to practice my competency/motivational question method.

I was wondering if there were any commercial awareness questions? I'm quite worried about how to answer such a question in a limited timeframe 😅
    Not that i remember (but i did this in November last year so don't count on my memory) but id say try and show commercial knowledge in any answer you can anyway?? eg when explaining why commercial law i mention smth demonstrating my commercial awareness and interlink that with why i want a career in commercial law

• 🤝
    Reactions: Ameliaa

psr23

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 15, 2020
    Does anyone know if GDL grads are considered law grads for the Hogan Lovells summer TC application window? Can’t find the answer anywhere on their website. I know freshfields considers GDL grads as law grads, and Slaughters doesn’t!

Ameliaa

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 4, 2022
    Not that i remember (but i did this in November last year so don't count on my memory) but id say try and show commercial knowledge in any answer you can anyway?? eg when explaining why commercial law i mention smth demonstrating my commercial awareness and interlink that with why i want a career in commercial law
    Ahh I see! Thank you very much :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: lawcurious

Brandon93

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2018
    Seeing some people on here got through to the Bird & Bird VI so I'll share my experience so everyone can see. This is from 2020 so may be outdated.

My VI was four questions with approximately 1 minute 30 seconds to answer.

The questions were: 1 motivational question, 1 question on legal tech and 1 competency question.

tt_xo

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 20, 2020
    Does anyone know when Norton Rose Fulbright will open direct tc applications for penultimate years (the one open is only for finalists and graduates)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.