TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Wanted to get advice on this if anyone is in/has been in a similar situation:

So I was an international student in London and I just graduated in July 2022.

I wish to pursue paralegalling positions. My student visa expires end of October 2022, but until then I can work full time.

I am interested in applying for the graduate visa but as you have to be in the UK when you apply and you have to stay there while the application is being processed, I wish to secure a role before going to the UK as rent/living expenses are so expensive without working in a role.

Does anyone know if firms would be open to hiring me as a paralegal even though I would be applying for the graduate visa after securing a position. The graduate visa is pretty easy to get and I don't know of anyone's application being refused so there isn't really any risk of me not securing it.
I don't think your international status would be a consideration for not giving you the job if you've already got the right to work via the graduate visa.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Lovely people,
How do I explain in 50 words why I want the job and firm? I am oiled like to explain that I have the necessary skills but I am stuck on why the firm. May be the career prospects but seems a bit too long term.
In 50 words, I would state one thing about the firm's ethos, the TC structure/job profile, the type of clients and deals and/or the career opportunities available that stand out to you. There simply isn't enough space for you to explain why these things stand out to you so you're probably better off just stating what stands out to you plainly. Alternatively, you could pick one headlining thing about the firm you like and use the remaining 50 words to explain why you like this aspect about the firm.

Reactions: S87

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Invitation to BCLP first stage interview! Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated as I’m completely new to the whole process

I also noticed it said TC commencing 2023 but I’m sure I applied to 2024, I’m going to contact them anyway to confirm but wondered if anyone else had this? Thank you!
Do you know what type of interview this is? And yes, confirm the start date for sure and let us know what they say!

moxiebobo

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2020
Does anyone know if you can convert a graduate visa into a student visa? If for example, you decide to enrol in the SQE or LPC Courses after obtaining the graduate visa?
hey i don't think it 'converts' but i think if you just get a student T4 visa sponsored by ULaw or whoever and whenever that starts would mean your graduate visa ends. So you might 'lose time' (i.e. the remainder of time you had left on the graduate visa)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hey i don't think it 'converts' but i think if you just get a student T4 visa sponsored by ULaw or whoever and whenever that starts would mean your graduate visa ends. So you might 'lose time' (i.e. the remainder of time you had left on the graduate visa)
Exactly this - you would just get a student visa and have to pay for that. Unfortunately, if you have applied for the graduate visa and ultimately don't end up using it for much time because you convert to the student visa, you are unlikely to get any refund on it.

Reactions: SR622

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know how / when the chambers student table with the number of vacancies per firm/ number of applicants gets updated? I’d love to know!
It was only updated at the end of July, so I suspect it might not be updated again for a couple of more months.

Firm's don't tend to confirm their deadlines etc until just before the recruitment cycle starts - which for many, won't be until October.

Reactions: Lily1234

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Invitation to BCLP first stage interview! Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated as I’m completely new to the whole process :)

I also noticed it said TC commencing 2023 but I’m sure I applied to 2024, I’m going to contact them anyway to confirm but wondered if anyone else had this? Thank you!
    I did it in April/May this year, I can DM you with some tips :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.