TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.9

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    I've always wanted to know about the reason why firms ask, 'if you have any links to the firm' - what do they need this information for, exactly, as I assume they cannot discriminate even if they know X has a friend who works at the firm, whilst Y doesn't?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I've always wanted to know about the reason why firms ask, 'if you have any links to the firm' - what do they need this information for, exactly, as I assume they cannot discriminate even if they know X has a friend who works at the firm, whilst Y doesn't?
    It’s usually an employee/client management piece rather than anything to do with the selection process.

I have lost count how many meetings I have had with partners because they have just wanted to know their client’s kid has been rejected before the client calls them asking why they were (although to be fair that’s even more difficult these days thanks to GDPR).

But there is nothing to stop firms favouring people with links to their firm - that isn’t technically discrimination, it’s just favouring.

Reactions: N.9

nkji500

• Jul 13, 2021
    Hi guys, I just got an invite to Ashurst's AC next Tuesday (28th Sept) for the direct TC. I will have to do an interview with HR and an associate, followed by a written case study exercise. Do any of you have tips based on your experience/knowledge? Anything in particular to note for Ashurst? This will be my second AC ever so I'm still quite nervous. I've never done a written case study before either.
    Hi, I've also got an invite - from what I have seen online so far - the written case study is something akin to a 'business report' - I don't know what that is but that's a term I always see crop up when researching the ashurst AC

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    Has anyone else not heard a peep from PMC? Appreciate that they are rolling and would have had their interviews already, but I have contacted grad rec and still not heard anything a week later.

qwertay

Oct 30, 2020
    Hi all, I have just got an email from Slaughter and May inviting me to interview and was wondering if anyone knew how they worked, if anything has changed since the last cycle, or anything else really. I would be eternally grateful :)

Also for reference I didn't include their address or my address on my cover letter if that helps queries from the other day.

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Hi all, I have just got an email from Slaughter and May inviting me to interview and was wondering if anyone knew how they worked, if anything has changed since the last cycle, or anything else really. I would be eternally grateful :)

Also for reference I didn't include their address or my address on my cover letter if that helps queries from the other day.
    Congratulations!

May I ask when you applied to Slaughters?

Reactions: ellwilsen

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
    Feb 25, 2021
    Anyone have any tips for the Simmons & Simmons SJT. I did it last year and found it one of the worst ones yet. I know that having a list of competencies the firm looks for and remaining consistent in your answers are key but just interested to see if anyone has any further tips?

JordanS

Sep 21, 2021
    Has anyone who completed the Hogan Lovells AC last week heard back yet? I was told we'd hear back early next week, but I appreciate that feedback may take some time to pass around from various assessors.

So far I've seen people receive outcomes after application/Watson Glaser, but nothing yet as of AC. if anyone is in the same boat as me, and has also done the AC, feel free to PM me :). There were only a few of us at AC, so would love to hear some thoughts

Also a long time lurker, posting for the very first time, just wanted to say thanks for this lovely community 😌😌

Last edited:

SecretSantaxx

Star Member
    Dec 9, 2020
    Hi everyone, I had an AC with Slaughters and May about three weeks ago and am still waiting to hear back. I was told by HR that it should take about one to two weeks during the interview. My personal tutor told me that they contacted him for a reference last Monday. At what point should I email/call them to ask about the interview outcome?

@Jessica Booker

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience of the Job Simulation for Deloitte Legal TC? Any tips or advice would be appreciated, thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone, I had an AC with Slaughters and May about three weeks ago and am still waiting to hear back. I was told by HR that it should take about one to two weeks during the interview. My personal tutor told me that they contacted him for a reference last Monday. At what point should I email/call them to ask about the interview outcome?

@Jessica Booker
    Give them a call on Friday morning to ask for an update.

JordanS

Sep 21, 2021
    Give them a call on Friday morning to ask for an update.
    Sorry to jump in here Jessica, but I have a question on a similar note.

I did an AC last week(Thurs), and I asked when I'll hear back. The interviewers said early next week , probably Monday. I have a TC deadline to accept by Thursday. Shall I ring them and ask for an update? I did email last time but they took a week to reply. Just a bit concerned time isn't on my side, but wouldn't want to pester them.

Any thoughts from you(or anyone else) would be much appreciated. Is there any way I can go about this?

Reactions: BeGrateful.101

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Sorry to jump in here Jessica, but I have a question on a similar note.

I did an AC last week(Thurs), and I asked when I'll hear back. The interviewers said early next week , probably Monday. I have a TC deadline to accept by Thursday. Shall I ring them and ask for an update? I did email last time but they took a week to reply. Just a bit concerned time isn't on my side, but wouldn't want to pester them.

Any thoughts from you(or anyone else) would be much appreciated. Is there any way I can go about this?
    Give them a call tomorrow and explain you have an expiring TC offer so just keen to understand when you might hear back.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.