TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi, have you heard anything further from Orrick post WG? I haven't heard anything since completion or from my email but I don't want to harass them and send a follow up as I know its a busy time for GR.
    My friend was waiting months after her interviews for Orrick where they kept leading her on then finally rejected her. I think long waits are probably standard in their recruitment and probably worth chasing up!

• Wow
    Reactions: M777

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    My friend was waiting months after her interviews for Orrick where they kept leading her on then finally rejected her. I think long waits are probably standard in their recruitment and probably worth chasing up!
    That's a complete joke - must have been a nightmare for your friend!

Reactions: OB

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    That's a complete joke - must have been a nightmare for your friend!
    Yeah it was so rubbish for her, think she also did about 3 final interviews and they strung her along for months inbetween each. Thankfully she's just started a TC elsewhere though :)

• Wow
    Reactions: M777

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

The TCLA premium application guide for Slaughter and May said that the address was not a necessary formality. Would you say that I should try and shorten my cover letter to get the address in or should it be something I add in if I have space? Also do you think it would be alright to make it 11 instead of 12 font to perhaps fit the address in? Thanks.
    11 font size is fine. You might also get away with 10.5 depending on the font type and how much you write. Other tactics are to reduce the line space to 7 (or 5 at a push).

My personal advice is to include the Slaughter address but not your own.

C

Esteemed Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 7, 2019
    2 application cycles, more than 40 applications, around 15 interviews and 5 assessment centres later... I finally got THE call yesterday!!! There is no one I can thank more than this forum and @Jaysen @Alice G @Jacob Miller @Jessica Booker and the entire TCLA team. I couldn't be any more grateful, thank you so much!!!

And I know it sounds super cliché but to everyone applying - honestly just keep going. All it takes is to put in consistent work, strategic applying, making use of all resources available to you, and also a hint of pure luck (which I believe will find you after all this anyway). Good luck to everyone and my DM's are open for any tips etc! Would love to pay forward all the support I received. :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    2 application cycles, more than 40 applications, around 15 interviews and 5 assessment centres later... I finally got THE call yesterday!!! There is no one I can thank more than this forum and @Jaysen @Alice G @Jacob Miller @Jessica Booker and the entire TCLA team. I couldn't be any more grateful, thank you so much!!!

And I know it sounds super cliché but to everyone applying - honestly just keep going. All it takes is to put in consistent work, strategic applying, making use of all resources available to you, and also a hint of pure luck (which I believe will find you after all this anyway). Good luck to everyone and my DM's are open for any tips etc! Would love to pay forward all the support I received. :)
    Congratulations! That is amazing news

Toronto Raptors Applause GIF by MOODMAN

• Love
    Reactions: C

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

So chuffed for you, well done :)

• Love
    Reactions: C

chi.c

Feb 11, 2021
    Hi guys, I just got an invite to Ashurst's AC next Tuesday (28th Sept) for the direct TC. I will have to do an interview with HR and an associate, followed by a written case study exercise. Do any of you have tips based on your experience/knowledge? Anything in particular to note for Ashurst? This will be my second AC ever so I'm still quite nervous. I've never done a written case study before either.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.