• Applications for Shearman & Sterling's vacation schemes are now open! Apply now.

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

thelegalsieve

Distinguished Member
Feb 4, 2020
You will need to have a clear rationale as to why you won’t and be clear on applications of that rationale and saying that you won’t qualify.

Many will not understand your reasoning when 1) you could qualify before you even start a TC and 2) avoid the QWE element of the SQE. It’s not really the most logical route you are choosing to take and ao it will be strange to many recruiters.

Dedicating time to qualifying and then not doing so will be seen as a bit of a red flag.
I didn't think of it that way before, thank you Jessica! I'll have a think about it before I make any applications

Yas

Standard Member
Aug 10, 2021
Has anyone heard back from Ashurst for direct TC recently? I haven't heard anything since their early August email
I still haven’t heard anything either and I know we’re not the only ones!

About 2 weeks after applying to Ashurst, I applied to another firm and 2 weeks ago I accepted my TC with them! Meanwhile, complete radio silence from Ashurst 😂

SB144

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Oct 16, 2020
I still haven’t heard anything either and I know we’re not the only ones!

About 2 weeks after applying to Ashurst, I applied to another firm and 2 weeks ago I accepted my TC with them! Meanwhile, complete radio silence from Ashurst 😂
Glad to know it's not just me 🤣 Congrats on your TC !!

• 🤝
Reactions: Yas

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, my personal tutor just told me that a firm has contacted them for a reference. I did the AC about two weeks ago. Does anyone know if that means I've passed the interview? Thanks!
It doesn’t necessarily mean a pass. I know some organisations will do this before they make final decisions.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, does anyone know for blind interviews if it is generally best not to mention your specific university etc? I couldn't find any information on the firm's website. Thanks
Best to try and avoid it where you can. It may naturally come up in conversation though, and that’s not an issue unless you are explicitly asked in the interview to not reference it.

Aide

• Sep 15, 2021
    Hey ! I applied for a direct training contract to White & Case in September 2020. I've gotten to the telephone interview stage but haven't heard anything since then. Has anyone who applied in this window heard back? or should I take the radio silence as a rejection and move on?