TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelegalsieve

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Feb 4, 2020
You will need to have a clear rationale as to why you won’t and be clear on applications of that rationale and saying that you won’t qualify.

Many will not understand your reasoning when 1) you could qualify before you even start a TC and 2) avoid the QWE element of the SQE. It’s not really the most logical route you are choosing to take and ao it will be strange to many recruiters.

Dedicating time to qualifying and then not doing so will be seen as a bit of a red flag.
I didn't think of it that way before, thank you Jessica! I'll have a think about it before I make any applications

Yas

Aug 10, 2021
Has anyone heard back from Ashurst for direct TC recently? I haven't heard anything since their early August email
I still haven’t heard anything either and I know we’re not the only ones!

About 2 weeks after applying to Ashurst, I applied to another firm and 2 weeks ago I accepted my TC with them! Meanwhile, complete radio silence from Ashurst 😂

D

Deleted member 8227

I still haven’t heard anything either and I know we’re not the only ones!

About 2 weeks after applying to Ashurst, I applied to another firm and 2 weeks ago I accepted my TC with them! Meanwhile, complete radio silence from Ashurst 😂
Glad to know it's not just me 🤣 Congrats on your TC !!

• 🤝
Reactions: Yas

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, my personal tutor just told me that a firm has contacted them for a reference. I did the AC about two weeks ago. Does anyone know if that means I've passed the interview? Thanks!
It doesn’t necessarily mean a pass. I know some organisations will do this before they make final decisions.

BiancaM

Distinguished Member
  • Apr 10, 2021
    does anyone what the law app standards are like for the mcquaig mental agility test and their experience going through the app process with trowers & hamlins? thank you :)

Teddy

Future Trainee
    Nov 10, 2019
    Hi, does anyone know for blind interviews if it is generally best not to mention your specific university etc? I couldn't find any information on the firm's website. Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, does anyone know for blind interviews if it is generally best not to mention your specific university etc? I couldn't find any information on the firm's website. Thanks
    Best to try and avoid it where you can. It may naturally come up in conversation though, and that’s not an issue unless you are explicitly asked in the interview to not reference it.

Aide

• Sep 15, 2021
    Hey ! I applied for a direct training contract to White & Case in September 2020. I've gotten to the telephone interview stage but haven't heard anything since then. Has anyone who applied in this window heard back? or should I take the radio silence as a rejection and move on?

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Interview invite for Akin Gump TC. The email says I will receive a short article the day before that will form part of the interview. If anyone has any experience with this or just advice/tips in general I'd be very grateful.

Would also be good to know how long the interview lasts if anyone has already done it
    Not done an interview with them but have done article interviews.

Here are some suggestions:
    1. Prepare to summarise and explain the article to the interviewer
    2. Prepare to discuss any deals (M&A etc) in the article and their implications on either side
    3. I like to think of the 'social, economic, political' factors around it. What would impact ASDA going private? Why does it matter that Lucozade might be reducing sugar? What impacts does Uber's employee definitions have?
    4. Think about the firm's seats and client base that will be impacted by the article.
    5. Be honest if you don't get something - I said "There was one area where I was not certain. From my understanding it is... Is this correct or could you clarify? :)"
    6. Be realistic - don't overweigh yourself with expectations - its literally just an article, a opportunity :D

Reactions: Jaysen and Nad2468-
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.