TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ahh that explains it! I was Googling and nothing came up 🤣

Thank you!
The joys of acronyms - they can mean so much.

In my old age, I rely on Urban Dictionary to ensure I can keep up with modern lingo

Urban Dictionary: PFO

Sci Fi I Know Nothing GIF by Warner Archive

John Travoni

Legendary Member
Jan 14, 2021
Hi guys I have a direct TC interview with Slaughter and May. This was my first app and I have never done an interview/AC/VI or similar before. Any advice (be that general or Slaughters-specific) would be greatly appreciated!
OMG, this is fantastic. If you don’t mind me asking, when did you apply ?

Sabotage

Future Trainee
  • Sep 7, 2020
    Guys I don't have a question, just that I have my Slaughter and May interview tomorrow and I am beside myself with nerves!!! It's my first ever interview and I'm worried I'm going to mess it up- any advice??
    don't worry about the interview and be chill, relaxed and confident - they are not going to ask you any difficult questions so there is really nothing to worry about.

just be prepared to explain why this firm and ask a couple of smart questions at the end showing them that you are indeed interested in the conversation and not just trying to get the offer

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    Guys I don't have a question, just that I have my Slaughter and May interview tomorrow and I am beside myself with nerves!!! It's my first ever interview and I'm worried I'm going to mess it up- any advice??
    Hey! Don't worry about being nervous! Everyone feels nervous before ACs :)

My advice would be to remember why you were selected for interview. Grad rec clearly saw something in you - whatever you think those qualities / skills are, remind yourself of that (even if It means saying it in the mirror a few times)!

Also, go to bed early tonight. no matter how much you think you can cram, you will perform much better if you are well rested, as you will be able to think on your feet during the interview.

Lastly, consider looking at some of the interview experiences on this forum. AC nerves are partly fear of the unknown, so alleviating some of that fear by clarifying what you are actually walking into will, from my experience, really help.

LlamaLaw

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 17, 2021
    Feel free to give yourself a moment before answering a question, and let yourself process the answer in your head. You're also more than OK to ask for them to clarify something if it's not clear.

As others above have said, don't spend too much time cramming tonight - it'll quickly lose any value and might just cause more stress (it certainly did for me).

Angeliki

Standard Member
    Nov 7, 2020
    Does anyone know when Slaughter and May will start accepting applications for the September 2024 TC from law finalists? I was looking at their vacancies and they are currently only accepting applications for the March 2024 TC from law finalists.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know when Slaughter and May will start accepting applications for the September 2024 TC from law finalists? I was looking at their vacancies and they are currently only accepting applications for the March 2024 TC from law finalists.
    Might be where they are moving to the SQE. Might be worthwhile contacting them to ask.

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Has anyone else been told they completed the first set of tests successfully but are now on hold for the KPMG law grad scheme (Reading office)?

vjbx21

Mar 15, 2021
    Honestly I found it quite chill! I've recently done the two assessments for Deloitte Legal so sort of had the mental maths practice from that to help! Have you done it?
    haven't done this test in a while so just took me a little longer than i anticipated to do it, not sure on the outcome as yet!

Reactions: OB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.