TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LlamaLaw

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Sep 17, 2021
How long after an interview and not hearing any news re the outcome is it appropriate to email grad recruitment asking for an update? It's now been more than a week since the interview and I haven't heard anything... In the interview I asked about outcome timelines and they said I should expect to hear late last week or this week, should I wait for this week to pass? I don't want to come across as harassing but also the wait is agonising!
If they said it will be this week then I think that would include all of this week.

As difficult as it is, I'd probably hold off until the end of this week or very beginning of next until asking. That said, sending a single follow up probably won't be seen as harassing!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If they said it will be this week then I think that would include all of this week.

As difficult as it is, I'd probably hold off until the end of this week or very beginning of next until asking. That said, sending a single follow up probably won't be seen as harassing!
Agree with this. Their timeframes are not up yet. Call them on Monday if you haven’t heard from them by then.

Reactions: AvniD and LlamaLaw

hopefullylaw2000

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2020
Agree with this. Their timeframes are not up yet. Call them on Monday if you haven’t heard from them by then.
Hi Jessica, would you recommend this if the firm said they would get back ASAP but other people from AC's on your day and later have heard both PFO and positive news? I'm not sure when would be appropriate to ask for an update? I wasn't sure whether to email to ask for a more concrete timeline so I know when to expect or not?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, would you recommend this if the firm said they would get back ASAP but other people from AC's on your day and later have heard both PFO and positive news? I'm not sure when would be appropriate to ask for an update? I wasn't sure whether to email to ask for a more concrete timeline so I know when to expect or not?
When was your AC?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Monday, however someone who had their AC tuesday heard back yesterday
That’s how it can be. All it takes is one of your interviewers to not return their notes as quickly as someone else and the difference in the decision making is quite expected.

I wouldn’t follow up yet as it’s less than 3 workings days.

MandyAA

Distinguished Member
Jan 20, 2021
Hey everyone! I could do with some quick tips re CVs for training contract applications.

Is a personal statement necessary?

I’ve never put a personal statement on a CV before but there’s no cover letter for this application

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hey everyone! I could do with some quick tips re CVs for training contract applications.

I’ve never put a personal statement on a CV before but there’s no cover letter for this application
Do you mind me asking which firm this is for? If it simply requests a CV and nothing else then I would not write a personal statement - but if there is any mention of wanting to hear more about you then perhaps that could be appropriate.

Reactions: MandyAA

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021

Hi @MandyAA,

I am going to tag @Jessica Booker and @WillkieGemma, on this one as I think they would be well-placed to answer.

From my perspective, when I was applying I did not include a personal statement in my CV. However, I have had conflicting advice on this. My impression is that this is a stylistic thing, but most firms will not expect to see one.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Generally no, personal statements aren’t necessary. Sometimes people like career changers might benefit from one, but that’s only when they aren’t applying with a cover letter or other application questions. If you are applying with either of these, then you don’t need a personal statement on a CV.

Reactions: MandyAA

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 4, 2021
Hi @MandyAA,

I am going to tag @Jessica Booker and @WillkieGemma, on this one as I think they would be well-placed to answer.

From my perspective, when I was applying I did not include a personal statement in my CV. However, I have had conflicting advice on this. My impression is that this is a stylistic thing, but most firms will not expect to see one.
Completely agreed with @Jessica Booker and @George Maxwell - personal statements rarely, if ever, add anything to a CV as there should be a clear chronological order to your CV. They are all remarkably similar.

AAA_a

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 14, 2019
A&O Direct TC (Sept 2024/March 2025) AC 🤩 (i applied end of Sept 2021/early Oct). Thank God and thank you TCLA! If anyone has any advice/tips on this year's ACs please do let me know - any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
Congrats! Can I ask how much notice do they give you for the AC?

A M

Distinguished Member
Dec 28, 2020
A&O Direct TC (Sept 2024/March 2025) AC 🤩 (i applied end of Sept 2021/early Oct). Thank God and thank you TCLA! If anyone has any advice/tips on this year's ACs please do let me know - any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
Congratulations on the AC invite. Is it okay if I PM you some questions as I am amdist writing my own application for Direct TC and could some help and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.