TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Thank you @Jessica Booker @AvniD and @Penelope

It is reassuring to know I am not the only person to do this! I guess I just need to focus on the positive elements, be proud of the fact I made it this far through the process and wait for the outcome and feedback!

I think part of me is also doing the same thing of focusing on the negative to almost pre-empt and prepare myself for a rejection to try and soften the blow rather than get my hopes up - which I shouldn't do, even if it is a rejection it doesn't mean I won't be a very successful solicitor in the future!
I'm so glad you feel reassured! I know that I've said this elsewhere on the forum, but one thing that really helped me deal with rejections was to treat them as redirection towards firms and opportunities that would help me get closer to my goal of securing a training contract.

I hope this helps :)

Wishing you all the best! You've got this!

Avni

Reactions: Rob93

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi All,

does anyone have any advice on how to not dwell on an interview after it has occurred. I've just had my first TC interview and it was for my top choice firm (I know I shouldn't have a favourite already as I'm setting myself up for heartbreak). I can't stop thinking about how I could've given stronger answers or things I should've mentioned but didn't. I'm sure I'm not the only person to do this after an interview right? if nothing else its a learning experience for next time...

Hi @Abii,

To add to what @AvniD and @Jessica Booker have already said, this is absolutely normal. I did this after my interviews where I was successful and unsuccessful. I found writing down these thoughts (both as a means to look back on, but also to stop myself from ruminating) really helped.

I will caveat this in that I know a lot of what I am saying is easier said than done. That being said, I hope that you have taken some time to unwind and relax after your interview. Whatever the outcome, it is a massive achievement to have got to that stage. It is important to acknowledge how much effort these experiences take (and how exhausting they are!).

I should also say that it is an amazing opportunity to have interviewed with your top firm (congratulations!). Not everyone gets that experience. So again, whichever way it goes, be proud of what you have achieved in being interviewed in the first place 🚀 .

Please do let us know how it goes :)

Reactions: Jaysen

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hi everyone! could you please drop firms names that recruit on a rolling basis for direct TCs (trying to take the fast track option haha). Thanks in advance :)
This information is from last year but should be fairly similar this year for the most part. I'd use a combination of these two threads (one is about which firms recruit significantly for direct TC and the other is about which firms are rolling vs non-rolling)

• Love
Reactions: Jaysen and GXA123

Reyak

Premium Member
Sep 13, 2018
If an application asks "how did you find out about us?", is it usually asking for a detailed answer, or just a list of sources?

I have come across similar questions before on applications where you tick the relevant boxes i.e Chambers Student, The Legal 500, etc.

However, this is just an open text question (one of four part question section, no more than 1000 words overall). Not sure how I'd answer that in full prose!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If an application asks "how did you find out about us?", is it usually asking for a detailed answer, or just a list of sources?

I have come across similar questions before on applications where you tick the relevant boxes i.e Chambers Student, The Legal 500, etc.

However, this is just an open text question (one of four part question section, no more than 1000 words overall). Not sure how I'd answer that in full prose!
They just want to know for their own purposes (to help with attraction and marketing strategies). Just keep it factual, concise and to the point.

Reactions: George Maxwell and Reyak

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
How long after an interview and not hearing any news re the outcome is it appropriate to email grad recruitment asking for an update? It's now been more than a week since the interview and I haven't heard anything... In the interview I asked about outcome timelines and they said I should expect to hear late last week or this week, should I wait for this week to pass? I don't want to come across as harassing but also the wait is agonising!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
How long after an interview and not hearing any news re the outcome is it appropriate to email grad recruitment asking for an update? It's now been more than a week since the interview and I haven't heard anything... In the interview I asked about outcome timelines and they said I should expect to hear late last week or this week, should I wait for this week to pass? I don't want to come across as harassing but also the wait is agonising!
My approach would be to email grad recruitment only once it has taken so long you are worried you may have missed their communication. Emailing out of impatience is completely understandable but may not get an answer as other candidates are likely to be in the same boat. Firms are often overwhelmed and so do not quite stick to the deadlines they lay out, but don't worry as I'm sure you'll hear soon!

Reactions: AvniD and Jaysen
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.