TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
ASHURST TC OFFER!!!!!!!!!!!! I never thought this day would come!!!! ❤️❤️❤️
Amazing news - congratulations

Standing Ovation Applause GIF by RTL

• Love
Reactions: Jaysen and sm2020

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
Feb 25, 2021
Hi guys, interested to hear people's views on this. I have just received a TC offer, which I am currently yet to accept. I have now just been invited to an assessment centre at another firm for a winter vac, is it acceptable for me to attend? To reiterate, I haven't accepted my TC offer and I think it would be an interesting experience (and possibly a good opportunity to have more career options).

bibss

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2020
Hi all, I was just wondering whether it was worth applying to A&O direct TC and direct TCs in general without having completed prior legal experience/vacation schemes. I just feel my application would end up straight in the bin...

I would really appreciate if anyone could share their experience/thoughts on this :)

anxiouslawyer

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 26, 2021
Did anyone else here apply to Slaughters' Direct TC for the March 2024 intake? I submitted mine 30th Sept because I remember the original deadline was sometime in early Oct (I think), but now I see they've extended the deadline to 30th Nov?? Wondering if we'd only hear back after that deadline has passed....

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello guys. Hope you are doing well. Could you tell me there are firms that take in a number of people via the Direct TC route and their applications go live next year somewhere around February etc?

Thanks in advance.

Bonolaw

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 28, 2021
    Did anyone else here apply to Slaughters' Direct TC for the March 2024 intake? I submitted mine 30th Sept because I remember the original deadline was sometime in early Oct (I think), but now I see they've extended the deadline to 30th Nov?? Wondering if we'd only hear back after that deadline has passed....
    It's rolling. :)

Reactions: anxiouslawyer

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    I have my first interview coming up early next week for a US law firm direct TC and I am nervous! It is a competency based interview with GR and a managing associate, does anyone have any advice or resources on how to best prepare for this?

It's been a long time since I have had an in person interview, summer 2019 for a paralegal role, so I'm a little out of practice!

• 🏆
    Reactions: James Carrabino and OB

lila122

Star Member
    Jul 29, 2021
    Just practicing the test questions on The Corporate Law Academy course for the watson glazer - could anyone explain this answer please?

Statement 'All coffee cups are waterproof. Nevertheless, not all coffee cups are recyclable.”

Deduction 1: “Some waterproof coffee cups are recyclable.” - conclusion does not follow.

If 'not all coffee cups are recyclable' does not basically mean that some are? Sorry if this is obvious and i'm missing something

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Just practicing the test questions on The Corporate Law Academy course for the watson glazer - could anyone explain this answer please?

Statement 'All coffee cups are waterproof. Nevertheless, not all coffee cups are recyclable.”

Deduction 1: “Some waterproof coffee cups are recyclable.” - conclusion does not follow.

If 'not all coffee cups are recyclable' does not basically mean that some are? Sorry if this is obvious and i'm missing something
    I don't think you're missing anything - as far as I am aware the Watson Glaser just leaves room for 'not all' to possibly be zero. So it is not the case that some waterproof coffee cups are recyclable in the instance that zero coffee cups are recyclable.

I'd check the instructions to the Watson Glaser as it usually explains the meaning of terms it uses like 'some' and 'not all' to avoid ambiguity on this issue :)

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Hello guys. Hope you are doing well. Could you tell me there are firms that take in a number of people via the Direct TC route and their applications go live next year somewhere around February etc?

Thanks in advance.

This is from last year and includes firms with TC deadlines in December and January, but the majority would fit your description. Some of the firms that recruit mostly from vacation schemes have a large enough intake to recruit significant numbers from direct TC (White & Case, Latham & Watkins and Baker McKenzie come to mind) and these deadlines are for the most part in June/July. Hope this is useful!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Hi all, I was just wondering whether it was worth applying to A&O direct TC and direct TCs in general without having completed prior legal experience/vacation schemes. I just feel my application would end up straight in the bin...

I would really appreciate if anyone could share their experience/thoughts on this :)
    I can say that I definitely know people who have received direct TC offers from MC firms with no prior legal experience (this is less the case for US firms as far as I can tell). That said, you will have to be very clear with your motivations - are you studying law or a somewhat related subject such as history/politics/philosophy? If not, then you would need to work hard to make a compelling case but I think it is still worth putting in the application!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: bibss

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    I have my first interview coming up early next week for a US law firm direct TC and I am nervous! It is a competency based interview with GR and a managing associate, does anyone have any advice or resources on how to best prepare for this?

It's been a long time since I have had an in person interview, summer 2019 for a paralegal role, so I'm a little out of practice!
    Congratulations on reaching this stage!!

I would recommend checking out past community manager @Jacob Miller's interview guide which includes a lot of excellent information on preparing for competency questions (and more)! https://www.thecorporatelawacademy..../?ltclid=6907ecd3-cc14-427e-bb64-b16a7905540a

I would also brush up on your answers to why law/commercial law and why that firm as I think those are fair game in any interview.

Good luck, I am sure you will do an excellent job :)

Reactions: Jaysen

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019

This is from last year and includes firms with TC deadlines in December and January, but the majority would fit your description. Some of the firms that recruit mostly from vacation schemes have a large enough intake to recruit significant numbers from direct TC (White & Case, Latham & Watkins and Baker McKenzie come to mind) and these deadlines are for the most part in June/July. Hope this is useful!
    Thank you, James.

Reactions: James Carrabino
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.