TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm still shaking but I was just offered a TC from Macfarlanes! Had a SH interview 20 minutes later in which I completely just lost focus but I can't believe I am here right now and honestly I am just shocked beyond belief. TCLA has been such a huge help and if anyone needs any help just PM me. :)
Congratulations! That is amazing news.

Proud Lin Manuel Miranda GIF by Emmys

Sammie

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019
Completely biased as I reported into Ben at Freshfields and he is one of the nicest partners I have ever met, but I use this book regularly - most weeks I will use it in some capacity to check how to write something:

Faultless Grammar: The Busy Lawyer's Reminder Guide https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1999745205/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ZSHZY3414JNE1JY43CWH

Unfortunately has far away delivery on both Amazon and Waterstones :( But I will definitely be purchasing! @Jessica Booker , how do lawyers feel about Oxford commas? Or double spacing at the beginning of sentences? I've noticed some lawyers using double spacing in their communication to me so wondering whether or not I should be using it in the context of a written assessment...
As for the Oxford comma, I wasn't really taught it at school. I can see why it makes sense. Is it a big deal for lawyers?

Lastly, are some punctuations, such as a dash or exclamation marks, seen as informal in written communication between trainees and their teams, or trainees and clients?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Unfortunately has far away delivery on both Amazon and Waterstones :( But I will definitely be purchasing! Jess, how do lawyers feel about Oxford commas and double spacing at the beginning of sentences? I've noticed some lawyers using double spacing in their communication to me so wondering whether or not I should be using it in the context of a written assessment...

As for the Oxford comma, I wasn't really taught it - or barely other grammar rules - at school. I can see why it makes sense. Is it a big deal for lawyers?

Lastly, are some punctuations, such as a dash or exclamation marks, seen as informal in written communication between trainees and their teams, or trainees and clients?
No need to double space in front of sentences - if lawyers are doing it, they are just wasting their time rather than meeting a requirement.

Oxford commas are appropriate - it’s just plenty of people don’t use them appropriately.

Informal communication is a completely different ball game. You don’t have to worry about how you structure your sentence to another trainee/your supervisor etc if the conversation is informal. Communication to clients should be appropriate to what you are contacting them about and how well you know them. A dash is a formal punctuation and can be used formally - you just have to make sure it is used appropriately. An exclamation mark is probably not the route to go in client comms unless it’s an informal chat between them. Exclamation marks are used to express a very strong response/feeling about something, and therefore probably better ways to do this in client comms.

PS my writing style on here is in no way an example of how the write!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaysen and Sammie

Sammie

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019
No need to double space in front of sentences - if lawyers are doing it, they are just wasting their time rather than meeting a requirement.

Oxford commas are appropriate - it’s just plenty of people don’t use them appropriately.

Informal communication is a completely different ball game. You don’t have to worry about how you structure your sentence to another trainee/your supervisor etc if the conversation is informal.
Thanks, Jess!

JayC

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Jan 8, 2021
I think you can apply because that would mean a new recruitment cycle.
PFO from W&C too - anyone know if they will accept a re-application for the winter / spring / summer vac schemes 2021/2?
Yes especially considering they let people apply for both vac scheme and direct TC within the same recruitment cycle!

Reactions: hrb_pg
D

Deleted member 2707

Hi @Jessica Booker, I was just invited to the written assessment by SH. Would it be alright if I attended the written assessment whilst keeping the Macfarlanes offer on hold or is this against any specific code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.