TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi, I'm just wondering for those applying for TC direct positions, how much legal experience do you have/consider sufficient? Is there greater expectations with the amount of experience you need with direct applications?
    I have 7 months of legal work experience so I don't know if that is enough and I want to know this also.

Reactions: BeGrateful.101

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Hi, I'm just wondering for those applying for TC direct positions, how much legal experience do you have/consider sufficient? Is there greater expectations with the amount of experience you need with direct applications?

I have 7 months of legal work experience so I don't know if that is enough and I want to know this also.
    I don’t think how much work experience you have is necessarily that relevant, besides the fact that it can support the fact that you’re sure you want to pursue a career in law without having done the “trial run” of a vac scheme. I think on the whole it makes more sense for graduates / career changers / people with other responsibilities that mean it is very difficult to take 2 weeks off in the summer, to apply for a direct TC. I’ve got 2.5 years of paralegal experience but applying for a direct TC for me more has to do with the fact that taking time off work would be very annoying and difficult. But I imagine someone with work experience in an unrelated field, who can demonstrate why they are passionate about working in law without doing a vac scheme, could very well succeed at a direct TC application if they decided that was a better match for their schedule.

Reactions: George Maxwell and AvniD

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Amanpreet Kaur said:
    Asil Ahmad said:
    I don’t think how much work experience you have is necessarily that relevant, besides the fact that it can support the fact that you’re sure you want to pursue a career in law without having done the “trial run” of a vac scheme. I think on the whole it makes more sense for graduates / career changers / people with other responsibilities that mean it is very difficult to take 2 weeks off in the summer, to apply for a direct TC. I’ve got 2.5 years of paralegal experience but applying for a direct TC for me more has to do with the fact that taking time off work would be very annoying and difficult. But I imagine someone with work experience in an unrelated field, who can demonstrate why they are passionate about working in law without doing a vac scheme, could very well succeed at a direct TC application if they decided that was a better match for their schedule.

I would agree with the above, it isn't about how much experience you have its about the relevance of that experience and the skills you possess. You have to show why it is less of a risk for the firm to take you direct and that you can demonstrate the relevant skills without proving them on a VS.

It also varies from firm to firm, for example Linklaters say 3-4 weeks is enough whereas some make it very clear that they have a direct route only for those that cannot do a VS. For the latter I make clear in the app why I am applying direct, so I have limited leave that is used for exams on the LPC, and I work full time in commercial law. I highlight that I work for companies that the firms would want as a client and how working in house has given me the knowledge to know what such clients require from their external counsel. I have 3 years experience in commercial and corporate law for very large multinational household name companies. I also have a full fee scholarship for the LPC backed by the Law Society which is further evidence that those in the industry have faith in my ability to succeed as a solicitor. IMO It's all down to individual circumstances as opposed to having a prescribed amount of 'legal experience' for example someone who has worked in a corporate non-legal role might have more relevant skills than someone that has worked as a very admin only heavy legal assistant role where all they really did was correct typos and manage calendars.

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    I really do think that CC is only calling those that are successful first. I haven't seen anyone post about a post-ac rejection (unless people haven't posted if they have been rejected)

CC03

Valued Member
    Nov 24, 2021
    I really do think that CC is only calling those that are successful first. I haven't seen anyone post about a post-ac rejection (unless people haven't posted if they have been rejected)
    I don’t think that’s how it works. As I emailed GR and said just that. They said they are calling people in batches. So they are just looking at each individual no matter if it’s an offer or rejection. They also said everyone should hear back by early next week the latest!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Commerciallaw and LegalTom

Tony Stark

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 23, 2021
    I don’t think that’s how it works. As I emailed GR and said just that. They said they are calling people in batches. So they are just looking at each individual no matter if it’s an offer or rejection. They also said everyone should hear back by early next week the latest!
    What do they mean by batches? Is it in order of when an AC happened? Alphabetical order? that's vague haha

JD

Distinguished Member
    May 1, 2020
    Is there an updated list on here for firms that allow direct TC Apps?

And other than the magic circle firms, are there any other firms that accept at least more than a few for direct TC Apps?

CC03

Valued Member
    Nov 24, 2021
    What do they mean by batches? Is it in order of when an AC happened? Alphabetical order? that's vague haha
    They just said batches I don’t know what that means either. But I find the order really random. As I know someone who did the AC last week get an offer and then someone on the 18th get an offer. So no idea at all and this was from the GR woman called Zoe.

Reactions: Commerciallaw

Tony Stark

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 23, 2021
    "Hi [redacted my name],

Thank you for your email.

We are in the process of making outcome calls. We are hoping to deliver all outcomes today but this may go into next week due to the volume of calls we have to make."

This came in from CC today morning. Thought I'd put it here to reduce anxiety over when people are hearing back.

LegalTom

Jan 29, 2022
    "Hi [redacted my name],

We are in the process of making outcome calls. We are hoping to deliver all outcomes today but this may go into next week due to the volume of calls we have to make."

This came in from CC today morning. Thought I'd put it here to reduce anxiety over when people are hearing back.
    Thank you!

Reactions: Tony Stark

CC03

Valued Member
    Nov 24, 2021
    "Hi [redacted my name],

Hey - thanks for this. Did they make it clear they are calling in random order? As I’ve just seen offers so far :(

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    For those that have gotten offers from CC - are any of you not in your penultimate? I have this feeling that maybe they are first giving offers to penultimates and filling any left spaces with others (graduates and final years)

CC03

Valued Member
    Nov 24, 2021
    For those that have gotten offers from CC - are any of you not in your penultimate? I have this feeling that maybe they are first giving offers to penultimates and filling any left spaces with others (graduates and final years)
    Hey - that’s what I thought. As everyone I’ve come across are in their second year of university? So weird. I know someone who did the interview on the 1st and got a call yesterday. So no idea how they are working through?

• Sad
    Reactions: Commerciallaw
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.