TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am really glad to hear that you have had a similar experience! I think that @Rob93's experience is extremely valid - with some of the firms where I felt like I really deserved to get past the app stage because of the amount of time I had invested in the application, I did end up progressing! Nevertheless, the fact that with even a couple firms I progressed despite not ever imagining I would do so, I am glad that I cast the net a bit wider :)
I think it ultimately comes down to individual circumstances.

Some people will be much clearer on what defines their motivations and can therefore select in or out based on that criteria. Sometimes that comes with experience, sometimes it is down to strong individual motivations that make their path much more defined. For those people, expanding their search doesn't make sense as it will only lead them to things they don't want.

For other people, there is more soul searching required during the process of applications - it's almost part of the exploration process of finding out what is right for them. For others, they are genuinely open-minded and the things that motivate them are just more commonly placed at a broad range of firms.

Whether people apply to 1 or 101 roles/firms is completely down to what works for them. For me the question of "how many firms should I apply to" always comes down to the criteria people have set and how set in stone that criteria is, rather than an actual number.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
I could not agree more with this! Every time I do a long-list of firms, its only when I begin researching them and thinking about what I want to get out of my career that I find those firms that I am genuinely excited about. I guess I am lucky that I am very openminded about what I end up practicing and want a firm that offers the opportunity to do lots of things (contentious/transactional) but in my third year of applying, it has been really interesting to see firms I would usually neglect, be on the top of my list. Also every firm I have passed the paper sift for I have never met in person so it really is not that important as long as your reasons are valid :D
That last point is really interesting and relieving to hear - I've had a lot of anxiety looking at the direct cycle because most of the firms on my list I've never met, or only met in passing! Definitely will just be yoloing a few.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
I think it ultimately comes down to individual circumstances.

Some people will be much clearer on what defines their motivations and can therefore select in or out based on that criteria. Sometimes that comes with experience, sometimes it is down to strong individual motivations that make their path much more defined. For those people, expanding their search doesn't make sense as it will only lead them to things they don't want.

For other people, there is more soul searching required during the process of applications - it's almost part of the exploration process of finding out what is right for them. For others, they are genuinely open-minded and the things that motivate them are just more commonly placed at a broad range of firms.

Whether people apply to 1 or 101 roles/firms is completely down to what works for them. For me the question of "how many firms should I apply to" always comes down to the criteria people have set and how set in stone that criteria is, rather than an actual number.
Excellent point @Jessica Booker - of course it would be a waste of time to apply somewhere that one cannot see themselves training!

This discussion all goes back to a post saying that 'I would take any job I get' and whether that is a good approach; I think that for applicants who want to learn about the law and discover their interest along the way (and who would honestly love the opportunity to train anywhere), then that is a good approach for them and is not a recipe for failure!

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
That last point is really interesting and relieving to hear - I've had a lot of anxiety looking at the direct cycle because most of the firms on my list I've never met, or only met in passing! Definitely will just be yoloing a few.
Just to add to this and hopefully add a bit more relief every firm that I have progressed beyond the initial application I have never met in person or had any connection to!

Reactions: thirdtimelucky
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.