TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpcstudent2021

Feb 15, 2022
Hey all,

Just wondering about how firms view LPC results overall. I just got my stage 1 results back and it went okay but not brilliantly, the average so far is a 63. It's impossible for me to bring this up to a distinction without averaging about 90% in my electives which I don't think will be possible due to the fact I find them all tough to manage. I'm gutted I can't now get a distinction, but I wondered if firms are generally okay with a commendation?

Another issue I have is that I have some retakes to do for non-grade weighted exams from January. These don't count to my final result but this is all not showing me as a great candidate overall. I'm doubting that I will even get to ACs with performances like this as I'm worried about how my grades are all consistently average and don't stand out as exceptional, whereas other people in my class I know are finding it fairly easy and are coming away with distinctions. The only redeeming feature I have to balance this is the fact I'm having to work part-time to support myself in a bar, which I don't feel counts for much as it's only 3 days a week.

I'm close to the end of the course so will slog it to finish and just try and get a job but am wondering how much this may affect my TC prospects in the future. Should I consider just paralegalling for a bit and then doing SQE 1. I would only be able to do this once I've paid off at least some of my student loans as that number just keeps going up at this point in time which is stressful, to say the least. Long in short, I'm feeling very lost right now and starting to doubt whether I should continue with my current course as my ambition for my career is city law, (with city electives to match) and these are not matching up to the reality of my grades so far. Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey all,

Just wondering about how firms view LPC results overall. I just got my stage 1 results back and it went okay but not brilliantly, the average so far is a 63. It's impossible for me to bring this up to a distinction without averaging about 90% in my electives which I don't think will be possible due to the fact I find them all tough to manage. I'm gutted I can't now get a distinction, but I wondered if firms are generally okay with a commendation?

Another issue I have is that I have some retakes to do for non-grade weighted exams from January. These don't count to my final result but this is all not showing me as a great candidate overall. I'm doubting that I will even get to ACs with performances like this as I'm worried about how my grades are all consistently average and don't stand out as exceptional, whereas other people in my class I know are finding it fairly easy and are coming away with distinctions. The only redeeming feature I have to balance this is the fact I'm having to work part-time to support myself in a bar, which I don't feel counts for much as it's only 3 days a week.

I'm close to the end of the course so will slog it to finish and just try and get a job but am wondering how much this may affect my TC prospects in the future. Should I consider just paralegalling for a bit and then doing SQE 1. I would only be able to do this once I've paid off at least some of my student loans as that number just keeps going up at this point in time which is stressful, to say the least. Long in short, I'm feeling very lost right now and starting to doubt whether I should continue with my current course as my ambition for my career is city law, (with city electives to match) and these are not matching up to the reality of my grades so far. Any and all advice would be appreciated.
There is no rationale in you doing SQE 1 as you have an exemption for it if you complete the LPC. The only reason you would do SQE1 if you didn't pass the LPC and needed to take the course again.

A commendation is an excellent result that the vast majority of firms will consider more than good enough, so I don't think you have anything to worry about here.

banana1189

Apr 4, 2022
Hey all,

Hello!

I thought I'd share my results as I am in a very very similar situation to you. I got 57% in Business and 56% in Dispute Resolution so I missed a commendation and just passed them. I was so so disappointed when I opened the results as I genuinely tried so hard and thought I had at least achieved 60 in everything. For the other two, I received 68% (Real Estate) and 89% in PCR, meaning my average is 64%.

I was so upset about the two modules I got the lower grades in, but just realised the main thing is that we passed and we can still manage a commendation (if not a distinction) overall! We have so much time to start revising now and I am sure you'll smash the final set of exams.

I'm reassuring myself that at least I didn't fail a CPA and would have my overall grade capped.

I may be wrong, but I don't think LPC results are scrutinised as much as undergraduate results are on applications. You sound like you will easily be able to achieve at least a solid commendation overall and that's what firms care about most!

The LPC is tough so you've done so well this far. Wish you the best of luck, and it's reassuring to see someone else in a similar situation to mine.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
is there any point applying to eversheds for direct tc? do they recruit mostly from the vac scheme?
They only allow one application each 12 months, and so you’ll need to factor that in first of all.

But based on their Chambers Student Guide profile, then it looks like it would be worthwhile applying if you haven’t in the last twelve months.

368A5ADF-95A8-445A-B01A-D3E5633A072B.jpeg

• ℹ️
Reactions: SS1, nisadee and Adrian_S

lawnoob

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2021
Me again! If an app says "Why do you want to be a solicitor at an international law firm?", and has a separate question asking 'why this firm', does this mean that the answer to the former doesn't have to be firm-specific? And will this mean that I could probably copy over my reasons for being a solicitor at an international firm from another application since it isn't firm specific?

NaimK

Valued Member
May 6, 2019
Me again! If an app says "Why do you want to be a solicitor at an international law firm?", and has a separate question asking 'why this firm', does this mean that the answer to the former doesn't have to be firm-specific? And will this mean that I could probably copy over my reasons for being a solicitor at an international firm from another application since it isn't firm specific?

Yeah the first Q is not firm-specific. You can re-use that answer across all applications.

Reactions: lawnoob

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I would definitely avoid it being firm specific. It is asking you to explain why you want to do the job in general. You still may want to tailor it though - a firm that focuses on transactional work is likely to have a slightly different emphasis than a firm that focuses on contentious work.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I always think this is why commercial law but why at an international law firm.

But would also want any advice on this also.

This is different to why this firm as from my understanding.

Reactions: George Maxwell
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.