TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I don't think this is really answering the question. The question is purely motivational and asking you to explain why you are going to be content in the career. However, I have seen people link what skills they like utilising and how they get fulfilment from certain processes/outcomes as to why they are pursuing the career. But they then don't need to go on any explain why the skill is necessary.
Thank you @Jessica Booker

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi @George Maxwell,
That's great to know!

I was thinking of using it more along the lines of getting to know the firm better as I have not yet received a feedback (which is sometimes next week!) so I don't think I can really use it to demonstrate the improvement aspect as of now.

Do you have more thoughts on this?
Hi @app03,

So in this case, I think that it could be appropriate to mention how you enjoyed your interview and that this encouraged you to make another application. You could also mention something specific that the partners told you in the interview about the firm. Was this along the lines of what you wanted to highlight?

Do you need to send the application before you receive feedback?

Reactions: app03

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    A quick question about the NRF cover letter for Direct TC; who should we address? I have been in contact with one of the Advisors but I recon its better to write the manager's name?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    A quick question about the NRF cover letter for Direct TC; who should we address? I have been in contact with one of the Advisors but I recon its better to write the manager's name?
    It really won't matter whose name you put in all honesty - the firm will be used to it being address to different graduate recruitment people, the training principal, or even just "Dear Graduate Recruitment"

This is who is listed on LCN though:

1654689835257.png

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    If it helps, I addressed mine (a successful VS application) to "Ms. Wilson". I'm not sure if that was right or wrong, but I got past the initial screening with it. I agree with others though, addressing it to Graduate Recruitment is also acceptable ☺️, especially if Jess says so!

Reactions: F12M34L

Legal Chick

Star Member
    Oct 26, 2020
    If anyone is applying for the new Clyde TC 2022 application let me know! I can definitely send over some advice for the VI as a TC offer holder for the firm who passed 3 interviews with them ! I am overloaded with Clyde & Co information which will remain useless until August 2023 haha
    Hey I have a VI for the 22 TC and would be grateful for any advice you have.

BL

Jun 2, 2022
    ok so I can’t say what to prepare for in terms of the structure. I had an interview, case study and group exercise. The case study requires zero legal knowledge as they understand they are hiring non law grads also. The group exercise is focused on you being kind and well spoken more than you Racing to be the scribe or time keeper like so many do haha. Commercial awareness is what they want rather than legal knowledge so make sure you keep sliding it in. A group challenge about transporting aid? Make sure you discuss how transportation has struggled due to cyber attacks on ports, air space bans in Europe and covid work place shortages etc. just as an example! the interview is the key section at Clyde !

I would say prepare for the standard set of questions. Why Us? Why law? Why commercial law? News topic and how it relates to the firm etc. do not be generic. No “I’ve always wanted to be a lawyer”. Link something personal to yourself and give and example. In regards to the news story, make sure you know what Clyde is. It’s an insurance firm. If your story has nothing to do with that don’t use it. Talk about automated vehicals or drones. Maybe plane crashes or marine disasters etc.

also, know why Clyde stands out. I would say this is easy as Clyde is very unique. It’s an industry focused firm and not transactional (although it has small transactional wings in marine finance and aviation finance). I would avoid mentioning transactional topics like M&A or finance etc. go straight for disputes and insurance etc. also mention it’s a sector focused firm and not practice orientated. Maybe bring in their insane expansion (trebled in size in a decade etc) particularly in America! And maybe mention adoption of tech with data labs, Clyde & code smart contracts etc/ parametric insurance.

finally, prepare a ton of stories for your competency questions, and do not use all law answers. Don’t give all your examples from law societies or your law degree etc. use stories from your hobbies, sports, music etc. be yourself! Be fun. They don’t want boring people! Half of being a lawyer is being personable as you’re trapped in rooms with clients day in day out and they don’t want a social awkward person who only knows law and nothing else haha. And always link your answer back to the firm and how it would help/fit in!

finally, smile, look at the camera, use your hands! Talk up! Use a nice camera and get good lighting/mic. This is massively important. If you sound boring you have no shot. If your smiling face and look genuinely excited and happy that will go very far! Trust me, I know this from the feedback I got from partners during my TC interview. If you get to that part, it’s even more important!

so to summarise. Know that Clyde is unique! Don’t be boring, be yourself , smile and enjoy! And, EYE CONTACT. LOOK AT THE CAMERA.
    Good luck!!
    Thank you so much !!! This has been extremely helpful. Much appreciated.

BL

Jun 2, 2022
    Hey @BL,

You are absolutely welcome! 🏆. Please let me know if any of the links below don't work. Apologies too if any are repeated (or behind a paywall as some may be in the Premium-only forums, but the majority should be accessible for you!).

ACs in general

Partner interviews

Written exercises
    I haven't included case study or presentation-specific advice in the above as I am unsure whether you will need it (let me know if your case study includes this and I will get back to you with some links!).

I hope that helps and let me know if you would like anything else 🚀
    Thank you !!

• 🤝
    Reactions: George Maxwell

Legal Chick

Star Member
    Oct 26, 2020

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I have a VI coming up but I am on holiday abroad for a family wedding but the deadline is in 5 days and we don’t return until the deadline, so what are the chances of the firm granting an extension?
    Could you do the video interview from where you are?

You can ask for an extension (there is absolutely no harm in asking) but the firm could ask for you to still complete it within the deadline, so you might want to prepare for that eventuality.

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I have a VI coming up but I am on holiday abroad for a family wedding but the deadline is in 5 days and we don’t return until the deadline, so what are the chances of the firm granting an extension?
    If you’re talking about Clyde & Co just message them for one. They gave a guy on my VS an absolutely egregious 3 month extension so he could finish a VS at another firm and then decide which TC he would want to select lol. They are in great need for people and they are more likely than most to grant extensions. But listen to Jessica’s advice and prepare anyway just in case

app03

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2022
    Hi @app03,

So in this case, I think that it could be appropriate to mention how you enjoyed your interview and that this encouraged you to make another application. You could also mention something specific that the partners told you in the interview about the firm. Was this along the lines of what you wanted to highlight?

Do you need to send the application before you receive feedback?
    Hi @George Maxwell,
    Yes I was thinking of mentioning something the partner mentioned with my experience and how I have worked on that!

I was really hoping to get a feedback before I can send the application as it would have been helpful but the firm takes rolling basis seriously so I just decided to make the application as soon as possible.

Reactions: George Maxwell
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.