TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kr253

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2021
A firm requires the following on my CV: a full classification and percentage breakdown of all academic results.

Does this ALSO require a full module breakdown of my (equivalent) A-level and GSCE results? (other than summaries). I'm afraid the CV is going to look colossal with so many module breakdowns.

Oh well, maybe I should stay on the safe side and include everything?
I personally wouldn't include module breakdowns for A-levels and GCSEs, mostly because I have no idea what they were or how to find them as I did them >10 years ago... But I also can't imagine why a firm would need to know these

Reactions: Scandi

kr253

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2021
Do you guys put your work experiences that are short term? I've had about 5 jobs that I would do only during summer holidays so I've only held each for about 3/4 months. Would this be received badly to GR? Would appreciate your insight on this @Jessica Booker :)

Additional question, I'm being headhunted for a promotion but at another company, but have only been in my current role for less than 6 months.

Would it be better to have more experience on my CV, or to stick with one place for longer to demonstrate commitment?

(I'd love to get some advice and talk about this to somebody as it has specific details if possible also!)
Re your question about the headhunter, I would look at it as a question of whether there is more to be gained/learned in your current role? If you feel you've got as far as you can in your role (despite being there for a short amount of time) then absolutely consider the other role. If you feel there's still loads of potential and opportunities in your current role, then I would be tempted to stay and get more from it. Happy to discuss further if you want to pm me!

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020
A firm requires the following on my CV: a full classification and percentage breakdown of all academic results.

Does this ALSO require a full module breakdown of my (equivalent) A-level and GSCE results? (other than summaries). I'm afraid the CV is going to look colossal with so many module breakdowns.

Oh well, maybe I should stay on the safe side and include everything?
I would think that they just mean university - I don't think many people even know their percentage breakdowns for A-levels and GCSE

Reactions: kr253

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020
Do you guys think talking about a specific deal the firm is involved in, or a specific practice area and its work is a necessity in an application?
I personally don't think so for a deal as I've not come across one that has an actual personal link to my motivations beyond a general interest! From what I've heard from multiple grad rec teams, they'd prefer something genuine than a deal put in for the sake of it

I have however talked about practice areas in my apps, but each time it's been specific to my interests and I don't think I'd put it in if it wasn't

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I’m sure others have more well-thought views on this, but I don’t think there’s any harm in lumping some together under one work experience entry. For instance, I often held several jobs during the summer. For one of my entries, I write down the main job I did at a bookstore and then in my description I also mention other part-time work I did during this time (e.g. working as a barista, tutoring, etc.). I also describe how holding multiple jobs helped me manage my time, develop customer service skills, etc.

However I wouldn’t take a ‘lumping’ approach to those jobs that offered me significant experience. My vac scheme at V&E was only a week, but I don't lump that together with other vac schemes. Rather I’d enter each vac scheme separately. Again, the nature and type of job you did may determine whether you lump them together with others.

Just my view :) Very curious what others might think.
Personally, I would include them. I worked on many short projects an include them all.

Reactions: Adrian_S

YJ

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2021
I have my second year grades. I got a 69 average but two of my results are concerning. I got a 2:2 in one module and a 49 in a non-law module. However my other modules are all 1st (4/6). Do you think law firms will care much about the two poor grades

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Do you guys put your work experiences that are short term? I've had about 5 jobs that I would do only during summer holidays so I've only held each for about 3/4 months. Would this be received badly to GR? Would appreciate your insight on this @Jessica Booker :)

Additional question, I'm being headhunted for a promotion but at another company, but have only been in my current role for less than 6 months.

Would it be better to have more experience on my CV, or to stick with one place for longer to demonstrate commitment?

(I'd love to get some advice and talk about this to somebody as it has specific details if possible also!)
I would include as much employment as possible - Short term placements are common so it won’t be perceived negatively.

If always go with the higher levels of responsibility if that was the only consideration of moving jobs. You shouldn’t stick somewhere just because of how flightly you might be perceived if you moved. A recruiter for an entry level role really isn’t going to care about things like that in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: Scandi and Adrian_S

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 3, 2021
I have my second year grades. I got a 69 average but two of my results are concerning. I got a 2:2 in one module and a 49 in a non-law module. However my other modules are all 1st (4/6). Do you think law firms will care much about the two poor grades
I'd say it depends on you first year modules- If you have consistent 2:1s and 1sts in those, I think that would demonstrate that these 2 grades are just outliers and are just unlucky, uncharacteristic results. But having an overall 2:1 is the most important thing so as long as you have that, they won't throw out your applicition. Will be hugely firm dependent on whether they care a lot about individual marks or not.

Reactions: Adrian_S

LceoH

Standard Member
Premium Member
Jul 16, 2022
Hey everyone,

This might be a bit of a longer post, so bear with me please! Also I’m really sorry if this isn’t the right place for this, I just didn’t really know where else to post this. I’m at a bit of a crossroads right now in my life – I completed my undergraduate degree in Law in 2021 and am now close to completing my LLM (admittedly a bit of a “panic masters”). Ever since my first year at university, I feel like there has been a lot of emphasis placed on going down the commercial law path (by my course mates and family members), specifically becoming a solicitor at a City law firm. Throughout the years I have doubted whether this path is the right one for me, as I have always had a strong interest in human rights, however, I have also recently become quite interested in Cyberlaw, IP and data protection. I chose to do a masters because during the third year of my undergrad I felt extremely panicked and uncertain about what I wanted to do with my life. Now, more than a year after completing my bachelor’s degree, I am in the same exact position. I don’t know what I want to do with my life nor what my “dream job” would look like – and I guess this is okay, but it also means that I have absolutely no idea where to go from here. I am, however, quite certain I want to become a solicitor in the future. I have tried to use my uni's career service, but I haven't found it to be particularly helpful.

I applied for a couple of TCs throughout the year and managed to get to the AC stage recently at Ashurst, however, I was ultimately unsuccessful with all of my applications. I am now panicking because I need to find a job starting in September, but the job hunt seems to be getting increasingly more difficult for me. I have stopped applying for TCs right now as most deadlines have passed and the intake date is 2024 anyways, so it does not solve my immediate unemployment issue. Adding further complexity to this is the fact that I cannot leave London, therefore I have to find a job here and cannot consider other locations. I have mostly been applying for paralegal jobs, as I am quite certain I want to work within the legal industry, but after all these rejections, I am becoming more and more insecure about whether I am “good enough”. I know I am not the only one who feels this way, as rejections are hard for anyone to accept, but I guess I am just looking for some words of encouragement or potentially any guidance/suggestions as to relevant positions/job titles to look for when conducting my job search? Is there anyone else here who was in my position a while back and has managed to overcome this or perhaps anyone who is in this position currently? If so, I would love to talk to you/hear your thoughts! Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited:

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Hey everyone,

This might be a bit of a longer post, so bear with me please! Also I’m really sorry if this isn’t the right place for this, I just didn’t really know where else to post this. I’m at a bit of a crossroads right now in my life – I completed my undergraduate degree in Law in 2021 and am now close to completing my LLM (admittedly a bit of a “panic masters”). Ever since my first year at university, I feel like there has been a lot of emphasis placed on going down the commercial law path (by my course mates and family members), specifically becoming a solicitor at a City law firm. Throughout the years I have doubted whether this path is the right one for me, as I have always had a strong interest in human rights, however, I have also recently become quite interested in Cyberlaw, IP and data protection. I chose to do a masters because during the third year of my undergrad I felt extremely panicked and uncertain about what I wanted to do with my life. Now, more than a year after completing my bachelor’s degree, I am in the same exact position. I don’t know what I want to do with my life nor what my “dream job” would look like – and I guess this is okay, but it also means that I have absolutely no idea where to go from here. I am, however, quite certain I want to become a qualified solicitor in the future. I have tried to use my uni's career service, but I haven't found it to be particularly helpful.

I applied for a couple of TCs throughout the year and managed to get to the AC stage recently at Ashurst, however, I was ultimately unsuccessful with all of my applications. I am now panicking because I need to find a job starting in September, but the job hunt seems to be getting increasingly more difficult for me. I have stopped applying for TCs right now as most deadlines have passed and the intake date is 2024 anyways, so it does not solve my immediate unemployment issue. Adding further complexity to this is the fact that I cannot leave London, therefore I have to find a job here and cannot consider other locations. I have mostly been applying for paralegal jobs, as I am quite certain I want to work within the legal industry, but after all these rejections, I am becoming more and more insecure about whether I am “good enough”. I know I am not the only one who feels this way, as rejections are hard for anyone to accept, but I guess I am just looking for some words of encouragement or potentially any guidance/suggestions as to relevant positions/job titles to look for when conducting my job search? Is there anyone else here who was in my position a while back and has managed to overcome this or perhaps anyone who is in this position currently? If so, I would love to talk to you/hear your thoughts! Thank you so much in advance.

Hey! I’m really glad you’re thinking so deeply about this. It’s a complex decision to make. I sympathise incredibly and have done pretty extensive work in refugee and social welfare law myself. I’d be happy to talk about this and will send you a DM :)

You’re definitely not in a bad position at all. And yes, you’re more than capable of being a commercial lawyer! That said, I’d also suggest that you keep applying for a variety of legal work experiences (vac schemes and open days) alongside applications for a paralegal job. This is because it can be difficult to know whether commercial law, human rights law, IP matters etc truly appeal to you without more firsthand experience. Short work schemes will help you make sense of where your interests truly lie.

Also, I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the number of trainees I’ve met (mostly at US firms) who came to commercial law after trying out many different careers. Speaking as a late career changer, I think applying for a variety of work experiences will be helpful on your TC journey. If you ultimately pursue commercial law, the breadth of work experience can be a way of demonstrating to a firm that you’ve really thought about your decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scandi and LceoH

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Hey everyone,

This might be a bit of a longer post, so bear with me please! Also I’m really sorry if this isn’t the right place for this, I just didn’t really know where else to post this. I’m at a bit of a crossroads right now in my life – I completed my undergraduate degree in Law in 2021 and am now close to completing my LLM (admittedly a bit of a “panic masters”). Ever since my first year at university, I feel like there has been a lot of emphasis placed on going down the commercial law path (by my course mates and family members), specifically becoming a solicitor at a City law firm. Throughout the years I have doubted whether this path is the right one for me, as I have always had a strong interest in human rights, however, I have also recently become quite interested in Cyberlaw, IP and data protection. I chose to do a masters because during the third year of my undergrad I felt extremely panicked and uncertain about what I wanted to do with my life. Now, more than a year after completing my bachelor’s degree, I am in the same exact position. I don’t know what I want to do with my life nor what my “dream job” would look like – and I guess this is okay, but it also means that I have absolutely no idea where to go from here. I am, however, quite certain I want to become a qualified solicitor in the future. I have tried to use my uni's career service, but I haven't found it to be particularly helpful.

also, while i’m here, legal cheek is having a great event on human rights law (for anyone also considering that career path).

• Love
Reactions: AvniD and LceoH

LceoH

Standard Member
Premium Member
Jul 16, 2022
Hey! I’m really glad you’re thinking so deeply about this. It’s a complex decision to make. I sympathise incredibly and have done pretty extensive work in refugee and social welfare law myself. I’d be happy to talk about this and will send you a DM :)

You’re definitely not in a bad position at all. I’d also say keep applying for a variety of legal work experiences (vac schemes and open days) while you apply for a job to keep you afloat. This is because it can be difficult to know whether commercial law, human rights law, etc truly appeal to you without more firsthand experience. Short work schemes at various places will help you make sense of where your interests truly lie.

Also, I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the number of trainees I’ve met (mostly at US firms) who came into commercial law after trying out many different careers. Speaking as a late career changer, I think applying for a variety of work experiences will be helpful on your TC journey. If you ultimately pursue commercial law, the breadth of work experience can be a way of demonstrating to a firm that you’ve really thought about your choice to pursue commercial law.
Thank you so much for your words of reassurance and advice, I really appreciate it. It's so nice to hear from someone who is a late career changer, especially because so often it feels like everyone knows exactly what they want to do with their lives right from the start! I will definitely have a look at the Legal Cheek event, it seems like it could be very useful. Once again thank you, have a nice day! :)

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD and Adrian_S
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.