TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IT7

Esteemed Member
  • Jun 23, 2021
    Does anyone know what the general timeline is for the White & Case TC process? How long after the deadline do they usually schedule Video interviews, telephone interviews and final ACs?

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hey everyone,

This might be a bit of a longer post, so bear with me please! Also I’m really sorry if this isn’t the right place for this, I just didn’t really know where else to post this. I’m at a bit of a crossroads right now in my life – I completed my undergraduate degree in Law in 2021 and am now close to completing my LLM (admittedly a bit of a “panic masters”). Ever since my first year at university, I feel like there has been a lot of emphasis placed on going down the commercial law path (by my course mates and family members), specifically becoming a solicitor at a City law firm. Throughout the years I have doubted whether this path is the right one for me, as I have always had a strong interest in human rights, however, I have also recently become quite interested in Cyberlaw, IP and data protection. I chose to do a masters because during the third year of my undergrad I felt extremely panicked and uncertain about what I wanted to do with my life. Now, more than a year after completing my bachelor’s degree, I am in the same exact position. I don’t know what I want to do with my life nor what my “dream job” would look like – and I guess this is okay, but it also means that I have absolutely no idea where to go from here. I am, however, quite certain I want to become a solicitor in the future. I have tried to use my uni's career service, but I haven't found it to be particularly helpful.

I applied for a couple of TCs throughout the year and managed to get to the AC stage recently at Ashurst, however, I was ultimately unsuccessful with all of my applications. I am now panicking because I need to find a job starting in September, but the job hunt seems to be getting increasingly more difficult for me. I have stopped applying for TCs right now as most deadlines have passed and the intake date is 2024 anyways, so it does not solve my immediate unemployment issue. Adding further complexity to this is the fact that I cannot leave London, therefore I have to find a job here and cannot consider other locations. I have mostly been applying for paralegal jobs, as I am quite certain I want to work within the legal industry, but after all these rejections, I am becoming more and more insecure about whether I am “good enough”. I know I am not the only one who feels this way, as rejections are hard for anyone to accept, but I guess I am just looking for some words of encouragement or potentially any guidance/suggestions as to relevant positions/job titles to look for when conducting my job search? Is there anyone else here who was in my position a while back and has managed to overcome this or perhaps anyone who is in this position currently? If so, I would love to talk to you/hear your thoughts! Thank you so much in advance.
    I think finding a 'dream' firm or a 'dream' job can pile on pressure on a process that is already quite stressful because it comes with an expectation of perfection with it. It may be healthier for you to approach making TC applications as an opportunity for to venture into a career in commercial law, and by looking at this way, you'll find many firms that fit your requirements and view your career as a solicitor in a more big picture way, as something that goes beyond just landing a TC.

As for your immediate unemployment issue, applying for paralegal jobs seems like the right thing, but do also consider judicial assistant, research and business development roles that are more broadly in law as this may increase your chances of landing a job soon.

I have changed careers as well and the thing that helped me most in doing so was to prioritise my motivations for changing a career, taking the pressure off of landing a TC by 2024/2025/20XX and treating each rejection as a redirection into another law event, another application review, another webinar, another conversation with a practicing lawyer till I got to where I wanted to be. This will take hustle but I believe you've absolutely got what it to takes to make it!

• 🏆
    • Love
    Reactions: LceoH and Adrian_S

malvern3142

Star Member
    Jun 30, 2022
    Have people received invites to NRF Watson glaser for the summer direct TC yet? I applied on 4th, deadline was 11th July.
    Nothing yet but surely a bit early for WG test invites? The deadline was only Monday, I wouldn't expect invites to the end of next week at the earliest. Feel like firms are screening more heavily before WGs this window and application times are a bit longer this year. (Probably smaller grad recruitment teams with the current labour market)

zak98

Jan 7, 2022
    Hi all!
    I have an AC with Pinsent Masons for a direct TC and they've asked us to prepare in advance a SWOT analysis document that we will present on the day. Anyone have any tips on the best way to go about this? I've never done a SWOT analysis before

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Two of the questions in the Paul Hastings application are:

What skills do you believe contribute to the success of a solicitor? (200 words max)
    &
    Why are your skills/attributes suited to a career at Paul Hastings? Why should we offer you a Training Contract? (200 words max)

Would it be appropriate to mention three skills that contribute to the success of a commercial solicitor and then mention these exact skills again in the following question, evidencing how I have honed / how I display these skills.

Or, should I mention different skills in both answers, and in the first question, which asks what skills contribute to the success of a solicitor, tie myself and my experience that pertains to each of the three skills in a couple of sentences at the end of each paragraph?

Thanks in advance!

samni

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 2, 2020
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to split relevant experiences between these two elements of the Travers Smith app?

Please give details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests. *
    Please give details of any positions of responsibility and achievements or awards at school, university or elsewhere *

Usually positions of responsibility and ECs go together, and my ECs at uni have been committee positions and therefore roles of responsibility. I've got some I can put in each but where would it be more appropriate to put uni committee roles or projects?

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to split relevant experiences between these two elements of the Travers Smith app?

Please give details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests. *
    Please give details of any positions of responsibility and achievements or awards at school, university or elsewhere *

Usually positions of responsibility and ECs go together, and my ECs at uni have been committee positions and therefore roles of responsibility. I've got some I can put in each but where would it be more appropriate to put uni committee roles or projects?
    I would separate like this - for experiences where I can give tangible examples of how my role changed or improved something and delivered results or was an award i’d put in the second.

if my position didn’t have a tangible result or I just participated I’d put in the first.

Reactions: samni

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Two of the questions in the Paul Hastings application are:

What skills do you believe contribute to the success of a solicitor? (200 words max)
    &
    Why are your skills/attributes suited to a career at Paul Hastings? Why should we offer you a Training Contract? (200 words max)

Would it be appropriate to mention three skills that contribute to the success of a commercial solicitor and then mention these exact skills again in the following question, evidencing how I have honed / how I display these skills.

Or, should I mention different skills in both answers, and in the first question, which asks what skills contribute to the success of a solicitor, tie myself and my experience that pertains to each of the three skills in a couple of sentences at the end of each paragraph?

Thanks in advance!
    I’d personally suggest different elements to identify. The questions are slightly different - to me the first one is about skills that could apply to any commercial lawyer. The second is specifically to Paul Hastings and so I’d be looking at the firm’s values and what they look for in trainees and then pick the elements that align most to my strengths. You also have the wider definition of attributes in this question.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: em311, sxw517, AvniD and 2 others

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

There will be elements that only fit into one of these two questions, so be mindful to try and ensure those are in the right section. Also don’t miss things - people will often miss their general interests out on the first question, and I’d encourage people to include that.

For elements that could cross both (eg an extra curricular that also crosses into a PoR), I might explain different elements. Say for instance you have been a member of the law society and have benefitted from attending their career events, I’d put that in the first question. If they in my second/third year is joined the law society committee and was elected into a certain position, I’d mention that in the second question.

Same could apply if you have played a sport or been involved in the same activity (eg various choirs) over a long period of time and across multiple groups. Then I’d mention that more so in the first question, and then focus on any specific positions of responsibility related to them in the second.

Reactions: samni, AvniD and S87
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.