TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Is it worth making a speculative application to recruitment at firms. I have found a couple of boutique firms that I am particularly interested in. Is it worth taking the time to email their recruitment to see if there are any admin/ paralegal roles or work experience opportunities available there? Or is it not recommended to do so?!
    Absolutely. One of the paralegals in a different department sent a speculative email to my firm and he got his position that way. Never any harm I think :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is it worth making a speculative application to recruitment at firms. I have found a couple of boutique firms that I am particularly interested in. Is it worth taking the time to email their recruitment to see if there are any admin/ paralegal roles or work experience opportunities available there? Or is it not recommended to do so?!
    Definitely worthwhile doing this if they are firms you have a particular interest in.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I want some advice on something.

I was doing research for a direct training contract application and online on Chambers I found a partner in the firm's Litigation team who was mentioned on Chambers for his excellent work. I sent the partner a linkedin connection request with a note and in the note I said why I wanted to connect with him by making it personal. He accepted my Linkedin connection request 2 days ago but has not replied to my Linkedin message. I wanted to ask should I send a follow up message to him or not. As I don't know if he read or not read my Linkedin connection request note. Any advice would be helpful thank you and I am not sure if I send him another message whether it will look bad on my side.

lawcurious

Distinguished Member
    Nov 23, 2021

I was doing research for a direct training contract application and online on Chambers I found a partner in the firm's Litigation team who was mentioned on Chambers for his excellent work. I sent the partner a linkedin connection request with a note and in the note I said why I wanted to connect with him by making it personal. He accepted my Linkedin connection request 2 days ago but has not replied to my Linkedin message. I wanted to ask should I send a follow up message to him or not. As I don't know if he read or not read my Linkedin connection request note. Any advice would be helpful thank you and I am not sure if I send him another message whether it will look bad on my side.
    ig no harm sending a follow up

Scandi

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 28, 2021

If you politely ask for a follow-up (in a non-intrusive way), I don't see any harm in doing that. But if he doesn't reply again, he is probably too busy.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021

Is there anything in particular you asked for in the note (a question about their work, a request to talk etc.)? If you simply sent the note to explain why you were wishing to connect with them, they may not have felt the need to reply and there isn't a need to follow-up.

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021

I wouldn’t tbh. Partners are super busy, and frankly they are often even quite far removed from the juniors at their own firm, let alone from you. Unless you’ve spoken to them personally before I would just let it go.

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I personally wouldn’t follow up, especially as it’s only two days since he accepted the request.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.