TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 3, 2021
What kind of information can you include here other than extenuating circumstances: Is there any additional information you would like to disclose for us to consider alongside your application?

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    ig no harm sending a follow up
    Thank you very much for this.

If you politely ask for a follow-up (in a non-intrusive way), I don't see any harm in doing that. But if he doesn't reply again, he is probably too busy.
    Yes I was kind of thinking that but as I am applying for the firm was worried double message might look bad when GR come across my name in applications.

Is there anything in particular you asked for in the note (a question about their work, a request to talk etc.)? If you simply sent the note to explain why you were wishing to connect with them, they may not have felt the need to reply and there isn't a need to follow-up.
    No I just said I was impressed by your work and would love to connect do you think it is okay to send him a message about something about his cases he has worked on or his experiences.
    I wouldn’t tbh. Partners are super busy, and frankly they are often even quite far removed from the juniors at their own firm, let alone from you. Unless you’ve spoken to them personally before I would just let it go.
    I did not know this. I did not know that they are not close to juniors but I think that depends on the firm like smaller firms that might not be the case but bigger firms it might be the case.

I personally wouldn’t follow up, especially as it’s only two days since he accepted the request.
    Thank you for this. Also wanted to ask if you send a follow up and they don't reply then will it affect your application in a bad way.

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker - do you think it would make a material difference to a TC recruiter that one achieves a 69.6 average instead of a 70 average on the PGDL? This might be very obvious, but always nice with some input.
    No. I’d make it clear that I got a 69.6 average though to highlight how close I was to a distinction though.

Reactions: AK105 and Scandi

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you very much for this.

Yes I was kind of thinking that but as I am applying for the firm was worried double message might look bad when GR come across my name in applications.

No I just said I was impressed by your work and would love to connect do you think it is okay to send him a message about something about his cases he has worked on or his experiences.

I did not know this. I did not know that they are not close to juniors but I think that depends on the firm like smaller firms that might not be the case but bigger firms it might be the case.

Thank you for this. Also wanted to ask if you send a follow up and they don't reply then will it affect your application in a bad way.
    No - there is no connection between you connecting with a lawyer on LinkedIn and how your application is reviewed. There are literally tens of thousands of these connections each year and they are not connected to the recruitment team and so there is no way for a recruiter would be able to monitor them, and even if they could I really don’t think they would care.

You’d have to do something exceptionally rude and memorable for the lawyer to go out of their way to notify the recruitment team that they had a bad experience connecting with you and that they should therefore flag that against your application, and then for the graduate recruitment team to actually do that.

Most LinkedIn connections do have any correspondence between the individuals after connecting so it’s really not an issue. If anything I’d expect that to happen.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    How soon after the deadline, does Freshfield reply? Just curious
    I would assume at least 3 weeks but Jessica might know better. Consider they are non rolling and have received lots of applications like at least 500 applications I am guessing. That is my opinion from previous experience with other law firms. Hope this is helpful.

Reactions: Adrian_S

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    No - there is no connection between you connecting with a lawyer on LinkedIn and how your application is reviewed. There are literally tens of thousands of these connections each year and they are not connected to the recruitment team and so there is no way for a recruiter would be able to monitor them, and even if they could I really don’t think they would care.

You’d have to do something exceptionally rude and memorable for the lawyer to go out of their way to notify the recruitment team that they had a bad experience connecting with you and that they should therefore flag that against your application, and then for the graduate recruitment team to actually do that.

Most LinkedIn connections do have any correspondence between the individuals after connecting so it’s really not an issue. If anything I’d expect that to happen.
    Thank you very much for this it is really helpful.

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

born&raised

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 30, 2021
    Hi! I have a Telephone Interview with Dentons tomorrow. In the initial mail I received, it was stated that "Your interviewer will call you on the number provided on your application at the time of your interview". However, as I am placed outside the UK and had provided my phone number for my country, I received an email yesterday with a Zoom link. It says "As you have indicated you are based outside of the UK, we have set up a Zoom call to make sure you can connect with no issues".

Since the TI for all the other applicants has been over call, I can assume that mine would also be just an audio interview (without my video turned on over Zoom), right? Just wanted to confirm so that I prep accordingly. Thanks :D

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi! I have a Telephone Interview with Dentons tomorrow. In the initial mail I received, it was stated that "Your interviewer will call you on the number provided on your application at the time of your interview". However, as I am placed outside the UK and had provided my phone number for my country, I received an email yesterday with a Zoom link. It says "As you have indicated you are based outside of the UK, we have set up a Zoom call to make sure you can connect with no issues".

Since the TI for all the other applicants has been over call, I can assume that mine would also be just an audio interview (without my video turned on over Zoom), right? Just wanted to confirm so that I prep accordingly. Thanks :D
    I would email grad rec to confirm this. In case you don't receive a reply in time, I would assume it would be an audio call only but would also be prepared in case the video component is included. Plain background, dressed appropriately- all of that.

Reactions: born&raised

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I would expect this to be the case. I'd probably try to be ready just in case it was over video, but if you were worried about it at the start of the interview, I would just explain you thought you thought it would be voice only and whether it is ok for the camera to be off.

born&raised

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 30, 2021
    I would expect this to be the case. I'd probably try to be ready just in case it was over video, but if you were worried about it at the start of the interview, I would just explain you thought you thought it would be voice only and whether it is ok for the camera to be off.
    Thanks @Jessica Booker! I was a little concerned about it because I have been preparing a certain way, so I'd have to change that and I would have to go get a haircut and all - I'd rather just brush up on my preparation rather than spend time on this on the last day. Would you recommend that I mail grad rec to get some clarity (in case asking for permission to keep the camera off would be considered rude)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks @Jessica Booker! I was a little concerned about it because I have been preparing a certain way, so I'd have to change that and I would have to go get a haircut and all - I'd rather just brush up on my preparation rather than spend time on this on the last day. Would you recommend that I mail grad rec to get some clarity (in case asking for permission to keep the camera off would be considered rude)?
    You don't need a haircut for a Zoom call - so I wouldn't worry about that even if it was the case.

But yes, you can email grad rec to ask if it will just be an audio call. However, they may not come back to you ahead of your interview if it is tomorrow.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.