TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi guys,
I would like to have your opinion on this matter.
I am answering the infamous question why this firm? Among my reasons, I mentioned that the seats offered attract me as they mirror my academic and professional career and proceeded to describe my experiences. Given I spoke about my work in other questions, should I focus more on the seats offered and the kind of deals/cases that the firm has done?
I hope I making sense.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys,
I am answering the infamous question why this firm? Among my reasons, I mentioned that the seats offered attract me as they mirror my academic and professional career and proceeded to describe my experiences. Given I spoke about my work in other questions, should I focus more on the seats offered and the kind of deals/cases that the firm has done?
I hope I making sense.
You don’t really need to describe your experiences in these type of questions. You can reference them, but you rarely need to describe what you did, especially if the details are included in your work experience section. Try to ensure your answer to such questions is more forward looking rather than relying on past experiences.

You don’t necessarily need to list deals with though. There are other reasons you could want to apply to the firm - cultural reasons, opportunities you would receive, how the firm would train you (not just the seats but the practical ways they train trainees). If there are types of deals that you can link clearly back to your motivations or you, then it’s fine to include them. But generally they can feel quite dropped in and often don’t add anything to the answer.

Reactions: Scandi and S87

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi guys,
I hope I making sense.
If you want to mention seats (this is something I did in my applications), then I would recommend doing in a manner that allows the reader to instantly 1) understand why you like those seats 2) known why you liking those seats is linked to your application.

So, if you say that you like XYZ seat then ➡️ explain how you know you like this seat (something you read, some work experience etc.)➡️ demonstrate why you like it (what do you like about the seat AND why does it attract you- maybe it links to something you studied, an interest of yours etc.)➡️ round it off with why the fact that you can do this seat at this firm in particular stands out to you (maybe the way the department is organised attracts youth it, a deal they've done, a ranking they hold etc.)

Does this make sense?

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
You don’t really need to describe your experiences in these type of questions. You can reference them, but you rarely need to describe what you did, especially if the details are included in your work experience section. Try to ensure your answer to such questions is more forward looking rather than relying on past experiences.

You don’t necessarily need to list deals with though. There are other reasons you could want to apply to the firm - cultural reasons, opportunities you would receive, how the firm would train you (not just the seats but the practical ways they train trainees). If there are types of deals that you can link clearly back to your motivations or you, then it’s fine to include them. But generally they can feel quite dropped in and often don’t add anything to the answer.
If you want to mention seats (this is something I did in my applications), then I would recommend doing in a manner that allows the reader to instantly 1) understand why you like those seats 2) known why you liking those seats is linked to your application.

So, if you say that you like XYZ seat then ➡️ explain how you know you like this seat (something you read, some work experience etc.)➡️ demonstrate why you like it (what do you like about the seat AND why does it attract you- maybe it links to something you studied, an interest of yours etc.)➡️ round it off with why the fact that you can do this seat at this firm in particular stands out to you (maybe the way the department is organised attracts youth it, a deal they've done, a ranking they hold etc.)

Does this make sense?
@Jessica Booker and @AvniD thank you for your replies.

I wrote about my interests in the IP and International arbitration seats. During my undergrad I completed copyright research and furthered my interest during the LPC by undertaking the Commercial and IP module, I also took part in a commercial arbitration hearing before the LCIA. So, I am excited by the perspective of expanding on my knowledge and experiences during my tc seats.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
@Jessica Booker and @AvniD thank you for your replies.

I wrote about my interests in the IP and International arbitration seats. During my undergrad I completed copyright research and furthered my interest during the LPC by undertaking the Commercial and IP module, I also took part in a commercial arbitration hearing before the LCIA. So, I am excited by the perspective of expanding on my knowledge and experiences during my tc seats.
The gist of this sounds good- don't forget to link it back to why the seat at this firm in particular stands out to you!

Reactions: S87

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
The gist of this sounds good- don't forget to link it back to why the seat at this firm in particular stands out to you!
Yes, I like the fact that the IP firm works on the full range of IP matters and it is very multidisciplinary whereas the arbitration team is not just investment but also very commercial focused.

Thank you very much for your help, it means a lot!

• 🏆
Reactions: Jessica Booker and AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Would the boys have gotten a yellow card for what Chloe Kelley did?
Yes - players are yellow carded for taking their shirts off. Happened when a Liverpool player scored on their debut in the Community Shield yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.