TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
I'm not sure if anyone here will be able to answer my question, or if there even is an answer, but will applying to a law firm the next cycle after failing the AC be seen as a negative thing? I know some Law Firms like TS state that they do not interview people who have previously interviewed for a TC or VS. I've failed to secure anything this year, and the only AC for direct TC was my dream firm. Next year I'm thinking of doing Vacation Schemes to increase my chances, even though I'm approaching 26, but if I failed at the AC they might not consider me again for the VS.
I did two VSs this summer and secured a TC from one and I’m still waiting for the outcome from the other and I am 28! There are others on the forum who have failed one year and applied to the same firm again and been successful. Some firms won’t reinterview but there are plenty of others firms to apply to and it may just be that the firm for you is one you haven’t yet tried!

Reactions: ZaraB, Raynz and Scandi

YJ

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2021
Has anyone got any tips in approaching article interviews? I have one coming up for Freshfields but I done one for Slaughters in January and got told there was not enough depth to my answers!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Has anyone got any tips in approaching article interviews? I have one coming up for Freshfields but I done one for Slaughters in January and got told there was not enough depth to my answers!
- Be prepared to summarise the article
- Hold an opinion on the article itself (how it is written/whether it is balanced etc)
- Ask yourself lots of questions when reviewing the article - why did this happen/how did it happen/who was involved/what were the impacts
- Consider how a firm like Freshfields would be involved in something like that or why their lawyers would be interested in it

johnnn821

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2021
I am a bit concerned as last year they allocated all TCs to vac schemers hah. But doesn't necessarily have to be like that this year.
I am concerned as well. It is a bit weird because they left TC applications open. I would assume decisions have been made for vac schemers. The thing that concerns me the most is that the apply4law page seemed really outdated. So I do not know if they purposely left the applications open. On their website they did not advertise the vaccancy.

Reactions: Scandi

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
- Be prepared to summarise the article
- Hold an opinion on the article itself (how it is written/whether it is balanced etc)
- Ask yourself lots of questions when reviewing the article - why did this happen/how did it happen/who was involved/what were the impacts
- Consider how a firm like Freshfields would be involved in something like that or why their lawyers would be interested in it
That’s very helpful! Thanks @Jessica Booker !

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.