TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yas

Aug 10, 2021
Does anybody know how long Freshfields get back to people post ac? I forgot to ask!
I was told two different things! In my call with GR I was told probably some time next week, but in my first interview (I was interviewed by a partner and somebody from GR) the GR person said it could be up to mid-September as they’re very busy! I did mention I have another AC in 2 weeks and they said I’d probably know by then.

One thing to note is they’re not in the office the next couple of days, as they’ve been given tomorrow off as a treat apparently and then Monday is a bank holiday. So the wait is going to be a bit longer anyway due to this!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys! i can't believe I have graduated law shcool and only just discovered this amazing website!
Question: Is this an international thread or are people on here from a certain country?
Our members are predominately based in the UK, but we have a range of international students studying at UK universities, and some members who are studying/working in other countries, and that’s across various continents too.

• 🤝
Reactions: porquenolosdos

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    Back here again, this time feeling like I've got a better prepared list of firms to apply for. Some for 2023, but within this next academic cycle - the rest for 2024.
    Not putting so much pressure on myself to get a TC. The last cycle that just finished was my first, and I know I'm capable considering I got so close to being offered a TC.

Also considering paralegal roles to defer my studies for a year, giving myself more freedom to work elsewhere first and gain the experience for interviews etc. I'm not overly stressed about getting a TC this year, especially since I'm going down the SQE route where a TC isn't the only way to get the legal QWE. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, so be it. Good luck everyone else.

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    I was told two different things! In my call with GR I was told probably some time next week, but in my first interview (I was interviewed by a partner and somebody from GR) the GR person said it could be up to mid-September as they’re very busy! I did mention I have another AC in 2 weeks and they said I’d probably know by then.

One thing to note is they’re not in the office the next couple of days, as they’ve been given tomorrow off as a treat apparently and then Monday is a bank holiday. So the wait is going to be a bit longer anyway due to this!
    Can confirm tomorrow is Freshfields day so very few people will be working and we’ve got Monday off. Tuesday will be spent catching up on work that’s come in on Friday and Monday. So don’t expect anything before the second half of next week :)

Aun Abbas

Aug 10, 2019

Hiya - thanks for this! May I ask when your AC was - and hence the relative time it takes if it is next week they get back to you. Thank you!

hrb_pg

Star Member
    Jul 16, 2021
    Does anyone know if Hogan Lovells recruits 100%(or close to the figure) from their VS? Or is it where majority of recruits are done through VS, with substantial(relatively speaking) recruitment from TC

hrb_pg

Star Member
    Jul 16, 2021
    freshies pfo post wg
    im waiting on two firms this cycle but i realise that i might not appeal to firms because i dont express an interest in banking/finance. would paralegaling in the sector im most interested in still give me a good chance at becoming a solicitor?
    Hi,

I can't give you advice re paralegalling(never done it before), however, I don't think you need an interest in banking and finance to appeal to firms. Some firms, like HSF, excel in Litigation, amongst other things. Others are strong at Real Estate, Corporate etc. If you show an interest in the firm's work(which does appeal to you), and substantiate why that appeals to your own alignment of interests/preferences, I think that'll put you in good stead.

Just for reference, I have a TC at a firm who's band 1 rankings are areas I know little about, and certainly have(so far) zero interest in.

Interestingly, I've done two AC's(one where I later received a VS offer), where the firm did not even ask 'why the firm', so I think this shows how you don't need a specific interest in banking or finance to become a solicitor.

Reactions: BiancaM

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    Yeah I think so- it's been a week now and there were only 10 of us in total for the ACs plus they said we'd hear this week
    Very much hoping so lol ... they indicated they'd tell us early this week so I'm a bit disheartened already
    To those waiting to hear back post the Latham & Watkins AC from last week, do you think there's any chance we'll hear back tomorrow?
    Hey guys! If there is a delay in hearing back, it could be because one of Graduate Recruitment team is leaving Latham and it is a busy time for the team due to future trainee onboarding (LPC/the firm itself) :)

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hey guys. Hope you all are doing well. I wanted to ask you, do you feel that you don't have enough experiences to create a table with 2 examples per competency? This is in regard to the competency questions and despite doing a number of extra-curriculars, I just feel like I don't have that many examples to fill out a tabular format for competency questions.

Thanks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.