TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
freshies pfo post wg
im waiting on two firms this cycle but i realise that i might not appeal to firms because i dont express an interest in banking/finance. would paralegaling in the sector im most interested in still give me a good chance at becoming a solicitor?
There are a handful of firms whose real bread and butter is finance - CC probably the most obvious example, and some of the Americans - but for most it's just one of their many lines of business, and there are certainly several that would look at you a bit funny if your main motivation for applying to them was that work (if their notoriety is in litigation, for example). Just know what each firm you apply to is about, and if you're genuinely keen on at least one or two of their major areas then you should be on the right track.

Reactions: BiancaM and hrb_pg

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hey guys. Hope you all are doing well. I wanted to ask you, do you feel that you don't have enough experiences to create a table with 2 examples per competency? This is in regard to the competency questions and despite doing a number of extra-curriculars, I just feel like I don't have that many examples to fill out a tabular format for competency questions.

Thanks.

I'm not really sure I follow. Have you been specifically asked to fill in a table with two examples per competency by a firm? Or are you just talking generally?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hey guys. Hope you all are doing well. I wanted to ask you, do you feel that you don't have enough experiences to create a table with 2 examples per competency? This is in regard to the competency questions and despite doing a number of extra-curriculars, I just feel like I don't have that many examples to fill out a tabular format for competency questions.

Thanks.
    So I never felt like I had enough experiences either when I made a similar table/planned out answers for competencies. You don’t need two per competency tbh, just one strong example will suffice. It’s also not about having different experiences per competency - it can be the same experience/role but a different situation within that.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    So I never felt like I had enough experiences either when I made a similar table/planned out answers for competencies. You don’t need two per competency tbh, just one strong example will suffice. It’s also not about having different experiences per competency - it can be the same experience/role but a different situation within that.
    Thank you so much for this.

ysabelb

Jul 8, 2021
    AC invite from Dentons on first round of TC applications, but rejected after the AC. Appreciated the experience and feedback though.
    Hi, sorry to hear that. I have an AC with Dentons coming up. It was supposed to be in mid-August but they rescheduled it to early September. If you are able to share some tips/advice/ general feedback I'd really appreciate it!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.