TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Szofi66

Star Member
Oct 22, 2023
Hey @Jessica Booker and others, does anyone remember if the LL direct TC app form had a separate section for acquaintances/internal contacts at the firm? If it did, I forgot to put down one of my contacts, shall I contact grad rec to remind them or it's pointless at this stage? (My contact also reached out to grad rec way before, so they should know about it, is it rude to remind them?)

hungry_for_TC

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 2, 2021
Hi all!

I've seen a comment from 2021 about this so I'm asking the follow up question here for fresher info:

for the direct TC route, is it true that firms 'prioritise' penultimate/final year law students? I just finished the BPP PGDL, graduation in May... was looking to do a mix of TC/VS apps but will change my targets if this 'Direct TC is mainly for undergrad law students' comment I read on another thread is true. Unsure if @Jessica Booker has any insight on this? would be very very much appreciated :^)

Last edited:
Reactions: axelbeugre and AFZZ

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey @Jessica Booker and others, does anyone remember if the LL direct TC app form had a separate section for acquaintances/internal contacts at the firm? If it did, I forgot to put down one of my contacts, shall I contact grad rec to remind them or it's pointless at this stage? (My contact also reached out to grad rec way before, so they should know about it, is it rude to remind them?)
I don’t know the specifics of the form unfortunately so can’t advise on this. However, if your contact has also contacted GR I don’t think it is worthwhile duplicating this.

Livvia

Premium Member
Apr 12, 2023
You can message gradrec to include it in your application. They can do so. I am sure they can assist with including some stuffs in your application post-application.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi all!

I've seen a comment from 2021 about this so I'm asking the follow up question here for fresher info:

for the direct TC route, is it true that firms 'prioritise' penultimate/final year law students? I just finished the BPP PGDL, graduation in May... was looking to do a mix of TC/VS apps but will change my targets if this 'Direct TC is mainly for undergrad law students' comment I read on another thread is true. Unsure if @Jessica Booker has any insight on this? would be very very much appreciated :^)
I personally do not think this is entirely true. I think direct training contracts are open to everyone but a lot of people applying are working candidates in law or in other sectors so I would not worry too much about it.

Reactions: hungry_for_TC

LillyandSilver

Distinguished Member
Oct 18, 2023
Thinking about applying to a firm where I got to the assessment stage last year but was rejected before the final interview. I feel like it was the best written application I have ever submitted, and personal circumstances on the day prevented me from doing the best I could. I'm very worried that my new application will be too similar to my last one, and I won't even get to the assessment stage because of it. How do I prevent coming off like the same person when nothing significant has changed about me?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Thinking about applying to a firm where I got to the assessment stage last year but was rejected before the final interview. I feel like it was the best written application I have ever submitted, and personal circumstances on the day prevented me from doing the best I could. I'm very worried that my new application will be too similar to my last one, and I won't even get to the assessment stage because of it. How do I prevent coming off like the same person when nothing significant has changed about me?
I think you can highlight different experiences in your application this time around or emphasise different characteristics or factors that you have raised in your previous application. I personally would try and change what can be changed. Your experiences, grades, universities and things like these cannot be changed, however your answers are what will set you apart. This is where you should start thinking how you can make sure that those come off as genuine and improved. In my new answers, I would try and highlight different aspects of yourself that you feel like are still very relevant to why you want to be a lawyer and how successful you would be. Alternatively, I would mention other reasons why I want to join that firm.

I hope this is helpful and good luck with your application!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.