TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

missingh

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2022
How long was your CV, as I have 4 years of modules to add, so 23 different modules for UG, 8 for PgDL and 6 for SQE, which makes my CV look ridiculous.
ahhh right okay fair enough i just have UG!! My CV was 2 pages, but since you have done the pgdl and sqe maybe you could send it separate so you don't have to cut too much out of your CV?

Reactions: sxw517

yeezyee

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 8, 2023
ahhh right okay fair enough i just have UG!! My CV was 2 pages, but since you have done the pgdl and sqe maybe you could send it separate so you don't have to cut too much out of your CV?
if it helps for others for GT i put it on a new document like i just put all grades in seperately for ease. i have 60+ grades from a uni abroad etc. so i just made a graded document

• ℹ️
Reactions: RK444 and sxw517

ikeRoss

Star Member
Sep 1, 2023
Bristows VI🥹🥹🥹 finally something other than a rejection this cycle😭

Bristows VI finally😭 anyone have any tips?

Bristows VI, does anyone have any experience with the interview?

If anyone's done the Bristows VI or remembers the sorts of questions from a previous cycle, could you please share? 🙏

Congrats all! Does anyone know if they send them in batches - I have received nothing so far, thank you!

HB2024

Jan 16, 2024
If an application includes an optional: "Please list anything else you believe strengthens your application." section, should I be using it? Bearing in mind the usual "Why Law?", "Why us?" "Tell us about your extra-curricular activities & achievements." and "How do you align with our values?" questions have already been covered and there's an extensive work experience section too ... ? I don't want it to seem like I'm using the space for the sake of it when I'm not sure I have anything particularly valuable to add.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If an application includes an optional: "Please list anything else you believe strengthens your application." section, should I be using it? Bearing in mind the usual "Why Law?", "Why us?" "Tell us about your extra-curricular activities & achievements." and "How do you align with our values?" questions have already been covered and there's an extensive work experience section too ... ? I don't want it to seem like I'm using the space for the sake of it when I'm not sure I have anything particularly valuable to add.
Only if you have something to add. For some people they won’t and that’s not an issue if that is the case, this is just an opportunity to highlight anything that you naturally could not have included in any other section but that you think is important to your application.

Reactions: HB2024

PlscanIhaveaTC

Star Member
Oct 1, 2020
Stressed Out Reaction GIF

Me waiting to hear back from firms after 6 weeks of radio silence

XiaXue

Jan 22, 2024
Does anyone know any firms that do online recruitment for those who are in circumstances where they are unable to attend in-person interviews? I saw this information on one firm’s website and was wondering if there are others.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
One of the questions for "Motivation for Commercial Law" in TCLA's question bank is "Tell us about where you are in your life and how you have ended up here today".

How to answer this question? @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker
This is really just a very brief summary of where you are up to (this question could be used in a CV blind interview), and then ultimately is another way of asking why you have chosen the firm.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.