TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Zaidoz10

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2022
@Jessica Booker I applied to a firm’s tc programme in the end of October and did their online assessment the same day. I emailed them in the end of November to ask when I should expect to hear back (they’re rolling basis). They said that the final section of the assessment was being reviewed and that I should receive an update “soon”. It’s now been almost two months and I still haven’t heard back. I saw people receive rejections since but I have not heard back. Would it be harmful to email them again and ask about my application? Sorry for the long message I thought it would be best to give you the full context.

P.S the deadline for the TC was January 15.

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
One of the questions for "Motivation for Commercial Law" in TCLA's question bank is "Tell us about where you are in your life and how you have ended up here today".

How to answer this question? @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker
What I would do with this question is:
  1. Describe your current situation: whether you are working, studying, doing a master, working part-time or full time, anything of this nature. This will ensure that whoever is reading knows at what stage of your career/life you are.
  2. Secondly, I would describe my academic life: where did you attend your undergraduate degree, what subject did you study and what you have enjoyed about it. Here, if related, I would talk about how studying the subject you have, maybe law or politics, have made you realise your passion for the law.
  3. After this introduction, I would explain why I am applying to the specific firm and your true motivations to become a commercial law: what are the things that excite you about the profession? I would discuss everything here.
  4. I would then conclude with what you are trying to get out of the profession in terms of skills you think you are going to develop whilst a trainee lawyer and I would express my excitement to be joining the firm you are applying to.
I hope this helps and good luck with the application process!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@Jessica Booker I applied to a firm’s tc programme in the end of October and did their online assessment the same day. I emailed them in the end of November to ask when I should expect to hear back (they’re rolling basis). They said that the final section of the assessment was being reviewed and that I should receive an update “soon”. It’s now been almost two months and I still haven’t heard back. I saw people receive rejections since but I have not heard back. Would it be harmful to email them again and ask about my application? Sorry for the long message I thought it would be best to give you the full context.

Chances are they are very busy this time of the year. I would personally email them one more time but after that I would not email again. I would wait for the results on their end. I understand the frustration of waiting to hear back and when I was applying last year I was emailing to ask for feedback all the time and that did not harm my application. I would say that it might be worth mentioning a compelling reasons as to why you need their response as quick as possible. I used to mention conflicting vacation scheme dates with other firms or offers received from other firms. I do not know if that helped me in any way though.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Does anyone know any firms that do online recruitment for those who are in circumstances where they are unable to attend in-person interviews? I saw this information on one firm’s website and was wondering if there are others.
You can always email a firm and tell them your circumstances and more often than not they will accommodate you and carry the assessment centre online for you. Law firms are pretty understanding when it comes to things like that so I personally would not worry too much about this. If you get an in-person interview and you cannot attend, just ask them if you can do it online.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
If an application includes an optional: "Please list anything else you believe strengthens your application." section, should I be using it? Bearing in mind the usual "Why Law?", "Why us?" "Tell us about your extra-curricular activities & achievements." and "How do you align with our values?" questions have already been covered and there's an extensive work experience section too ... ? I don't want it to seem like I'm using the space for the sake of it when I'm not sure I have anything particularly valuable to add.
It is not necessary to use it if you have nothing to say. I personally used to use it as an opportunity to show my academic ability and so I used to talk about academic prizes and scholarships I won from high school to my master degree and that worked really well. However, if I did not have anything to write about, I would not have used it. I also know people who never used it and they were still successful so I would not worry.

Reactions: HB2024

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Reactions: legalbaby

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

If you haven’t heard back in the last two months, a short but polite email asking when you may hear back is not too much of an issue, especially if you haven’t chased them before.

Zaidoz10

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2022
If you haven’t heard back in the last two months, a short but polite email asking when you may hear back is not too much of an issue, especially if you haven’t chased them before.
I asked them one time about when I may hear back in November. That’s when they told me I should get an update soon. Does that count as me having already “chased” them?

Shreya Verma

Valued Member
Sep 4, 2023
Thank you so much
What I would do with this question is:
  1. Describe your current situation: whether you are working, studying, doing a master, working part-time or full time, anything of this nature. This will ensure that whoever is reading knows at what stage of your career/life you are.
  2. Secondly, I would describe my academic life: where did you attend your undergraduate degree, what subject did you study and what you have enjoyed about it. Here, if related, I would talk about how studying the subject you have, maybe law or politics, have made you realise your passion for the law.
  3. After this introduction, I would explain why I am applying to the specific firm and your true motivations to become a commercial law: what are the things that excite you about the profession? I would discuss everything here.
  4. I would then conclude with what you are trying to get out of the profession in terms of skills you think you are going to develop whilst a trainee lawyer and I would express my excitement to be joining the firm you are applying to.
I hope this helps and good luck with the application process!

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.