TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

LegalLordLox

Legendary Member
Jan 3, 2021
Hi, I am new here. I am a mature candidate and a career changer. I am trying to navigate various industries such as Life Sciences because is more similar to my field. Could anyone suggest ways to increase my understanding of the role of life sciences lawyers? Do you know anyone active on LinkedIn?
Many science professionals go into Intellectual property (IP) law! Some good law firms to look at would be https://www.mewburn.com/careers/graduates and https://www.bristows.com/careers/trainees/why-bristows/sectors/life-sciences/

Reactions: AS24

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
when you are writing down vac scheme offer on a tc application, do you write that down in the work experience section? If so, how do you write it?
You sometimes can't put in future dates in a work experience section, but even if you can, I don't think it's necessarily the right section for it as you can't really describe the experience and it would really just be an empty entry beyond the dates, job title and employer.

I would try to put this in other sections if you can, especially if there is an "extra information" section or "is there any further information you want to provide" type section, or you can reference it in a motivational quest by briefly saying something like "I look forward to learning more about commercial law on a vacation scheme at Joe Bloggs LLP this summer".

Reactions: Untilwinter

legallybrunette1

Standard Member
Aug 9, 2023
Hi! Has anyone else who had the HR screening call with Blake Morgan not yet heard anything else? I’m sure that during my call they said I would hear within a week or so, but it’s coming up 4 weeks - not sure when to start losing my head over it!!?

LillyandSilver

Distinguished Member
Oct 18, 2023
I made two applications last year because I wanted to head to the bar before this, so I count this year as my first proper application cycle. I'm a master's student at a very good uni but it is really hard seeing that it appears everyone who graduated with me last year has a training contract from an amazing law firm. I have had some good progress (only in direct TC applications) but I'm just struggling with motivation. It seems like I get to the end and then bottle it. My application cycle hasn't even finished this year but I just feel like I won't get anything and the idea of starting a training contract in 2027 just seems so far away. Is anyone else struggling?

law2022x

Legendary Member
Feb 21, 2022
I made two applications last year because I wanted to head to the bar before this, so I count this year as my first proper application cycle. I'm a master's student at a very good uni but it is really hard seeing that it appears everyone who graduated with me last year has a training contract from an amazing law firm. I have had some good progress (only in direct TC applications) but I'm just struggling with motivation. It seems like I get to the end and then bottle it. My application cycle hasn't even finished this year but I just feel like I won't get anything and the idea of starting a training contract in 2027 just seems so far away. Is anyone else struggling?
i literally feel the exact same, you’re not alone is all i can say

desperateTCseeker1998

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
I feel exactly the same, I could have actually written this myself

hopefulforatc

Star Member
Mar 3, 2024
I feel the same as you. It was my first cycle and I did get interviews but I managed to mess up all of them.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.