TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

norothrow324

Legendary Member
Apr 11, 2023
Anyone else not heard from Fieldfisher following the online assessment?
I did my test last week and got a confirmation right away that they got it and then yesterday I got an email saying “
Thank you for completing the online strengths assessment, to progress your application with Fieldfisher.

Your application form and strength score has been forwarded to one of the Early Careers Team for review.

We will be in touch with further updates in the next 14 days.”

So I guess there is a delay in when you submit and when the system forwards it to them

addy2004

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 28, 2023
    @Jessica Booker Please may you answer a quick question I have regarding an application question?

It states "In 250 words, tell us what a commercial lawyer does". Should I use a virtual internship I have completed as an example so I can link the question to my insight to work a commercial lawyer does? Or should I discuss more generally what a lawyer at that firm may do depending on the practice area they work in? Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Please may you answer a quick question I have regarding an application question?

It states "In 250 words, tell us what a commercial lawyer does". Should I use a virtual internship I have completed as an example so I can link the question to my insight to work a commercial lawyer does? Or should I discuss more generally what a lawyer at that firm may do depending on the practice area they work in? Thank you.
    You don’t need to put what you have done into this question. You just need to summarise what a commercial lawyer does in your own words. They are assessing your knowledge of the job and your drafting skills for this question - not what you have done in the past

Reactions: addy2004

LB24

Valued Member
    Sep 26, 2023
    Went to apply for Fieldfisher and I see their deadline is 6 January 2024; however, it says applications are closed.

I presume they fill spaces on a rolling basis and no longer feel the need to keep the application window open and this isn't an error?
    I’m assuming this is for the London office? I’ve just been able to submit my app for the Manchester office.

I’m assuming that because it states on the job page for TCs that they can offer TCs before the deadline that if they have enough before the deadline then they’ll just shut them.

LillyandSilver

Distinguished Member
    Oct 18, 2023
    Any advice on what to put on an "anything else you want to tell us when considering your application?" non-compulsory question? Should I leave it blank? Is this just for any academic concessions or should I put extra details about myself?

tillywizz98

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 23, 2023
    Yeah, I was just having a look. Some other firms specify what this is for (normally if you had any mitigating circumstances at Uni), but they haven't specified, so I didn't want to assume and leave it blank without checking.
    For my application (and it got through to interview) I put down specifically why commercial law + why Hogan lovells as well as some detail about my personal engagement with the firm to make it more personalised!

Reactions: Njaliwe Ungwe

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I was wondering whether grad rec finds it annoying if I detail a work experience to demonstrate a skill in a question when it has already been mentioned in the work experience section?
    It is fine to use an example from the work experience - I would just not describe the skill on the work experience entry and focus more on how the skill was developed in the application question to make sure there isn’t really much duplication of content.

Reactions: MrHubertLouis

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.