TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@Jessica Booker i just read over my freshfields application and noticed I put fieldfisher twice 😭 I did put freshfields once but that was nearing to the end. Can I safely say this will be a PFO? I mean if I was grad rec i’d give myself a PFO for that mistake 🥲
You never know what can happen so I would not dwell on it but I will say it is not the best, however I made mistakes in my applications last year and most of them got through anyway so never lose hope!

• 🤝
Reactions: Sharon Wu and Legalstalker

norothrow324

Legendary Member
Apr 11, 2023
Yes as far as I am aware and if the process did not change from last year. And, if successful, you will receive a watson glaser. After that, if you pass, you will get an assessment centre invite.
If you get through to the WG do you think it then falls down to WG performance to make it to an AC or is it then seen as WG plus overall app? My question more or less stems from whether being sent the WG is a notion of ''we like this application and it is worthy of an AC, but we need to cut numbers down''?

Reactions: axelbeugre

LB24

Valued Member
Sep 26, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker and @axelbeugre, for McDermott Will & Emery, the deadline for TC applications was 31 October but it looks as though nobody has received any communication from them post-app.

Is it safe to assume that they’ve just decided to not take trainees on or have offered TCs internally?

I spoke to a future trainee who got a TC offer in 2023 and they had already had their AC by this time last year.

Zi48

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2022
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica!Is it possible to apply for a direct TC without any VS previously
Not Jessica but it depends on the firm! It might say in their FAQs. E.g. NRF, Linklaters, Hogan Lovells say they expect legal work experience (like a VS or internship), but last year I got to the final interview for Ashurst, and passed application stage for Baker McKenzie and Freshfields direct TC without a VS

Zi48

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2022
Would it be alright to add an upcoming vacation scheme to the work experience section for a TC application? It doesn’t fit in my personal statement and there’s no additional information section. I don’t know if it’s worth it as there’s not much I can say apart from that I will be taking part and sitting in 2 practice areas.
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    Hi @Jessica Booker and @axelbeugre, for McDermott Will & Emery, the deadline for TC applications was 31 October but it looks as though nobody has received any communication from them post-app.

Is it safe to assume that they’ve just decided to not take trainees on or have offered TCs internally?

I spoke to a future trainee who got a TC offer in 2023 and they had already had their AC by this time last year.
    I just don't get why they advertised the opening

Reactions: LB24

S2L24

Jan 10, 2024
    Hi all - Have my first 2 ACs next week/week after. I am a career changer and have completed ACs for other sectors (finance) but never for law.

Any advice on what might be different please? Also, should I take a copy of my CV for the interview part, as the firm notes they don't provide the interviewer with any previous details.

Thanks!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.