TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

3000to1shoteverytime

Distinguished Member
Dec 9, 2023
Hi all - Have my first 2 ACs next week/week after. I am a career changer and have completed ACs for other sectors (finance) but never for law.

Any advice on what might be different please? Also, should I take a copy of my CV for the interview part, as the firm notes they don't provide the interviewer with any previous details.

Thanks!
No the point is they don't know your background so have no preconceived ideas about you.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
If you get through to the WG do you think it then falls down to WG performance to make it to an AC or is it then seen as WG plus overall app? My question more or less stems from whether being sent the WG is a notion of ''we like this application and it is worthy of an AC, but we need to cut numbers down''?
I am pretty sure it is watson glaser and overall application but I am not really sure. I would say that you are pretty much correct with your assumption or at least that was the impression I was under.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker and @axelbeugre, for McDermott Will & Emery, the deadline for TC applications was 31 October but it looks as though nobody has received any communication from them post-app.

Is it safe to assume that they’ve just decided to not take trainees on or have offered TCs internally?

I spoke to a future trainee who got a TC offer in 2023 and they had already had their AC by this time last year.
It might be that they are very busy for whatever reason so I personally would not think too much into it. I totally understand that waiting so long is nerve-wracking and so you could message them graduate recruitment asking for updates on your application. I did it a couple of time last year and they usually either give you the result or explain why they are being late.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica!Is it possible to apply for a direct TC without any VS previously
It is definitely possible to do so and I personally know people who were successful without any legal experience whatsoever. It is just a matter of explaining really well how your past experiences make you the perfect future trainee lawyer at the firm.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre I've just made a TC application for Freshfields which I've just realised their personal statement word limit was 850 words, which I have gone over the word limit. What should I do?
How much did you go above that? I personally think that it is fine and law firms will read your application even if it is slightly above the word count, especially if it is a personal statement. If it is less than 1000, I think it is fine. I personally would not do anything also because chances are they might not even notice.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre I've just made a TC application for Freshfields which I've just realised their personal statement word limit was 850 words, which I have gone over the word limit. What should I do?
    I'm neither of them but email Freshfields - [email protected]
    I made a huge error which i noticed today i emailed and asked if they could withdraw my application. they responded within 20 minutes confirming they had withdrawn me to allow me to reapply with an updated personal statement. this was only 1 hour ago!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

e1996

Star Member
    Dec 16, 2021
    How much did you go above that? I personally think that it is fine and law firms will read your application even if it is slightly above the word count, especially if it is a personal statement. If it is less than 1000, I think it is fine. I personally would not do anything also because chances are they might not even notice.
    I was quite over the word limit - 1200 words.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.