TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

LQG

Premium Member
Sep 25, 2023
If questions for video interviews are the same/similar to the questions on an application, can answers to the VI questions be the same/similar to your application answers or must answers be different?

Reactions: Louise59

ab01

Star Member
  • Jan 23, 2021
    That's exactly what I would have said, thank you so much @sophie98, i think this is such a great piece of advice! @ab01 I personally believe it depends on the firms you are applying to but if you think of the fact that vacation schemes are easier to get than training contracts, then it is clear that you should still give them a good go! Good luck with it!
    Thank you so much! Yeah certainly, VS’s are so much easier!

Reactions: axelbeugre

Tigs96

Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 4, 2023
    Hello all! I got an offer to attend a group negotiation exercise which looks like will last for 3-4 hours. I have never attended such an assessment before and I was wondering if anyone has, and can give me some practical tips to prepare for it. And tell me what your experiences with such assessments have been like?
    Thank you!!

mckelly

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 19, 2020
    After receiving a TC offer from a US firm after many unsuccessful applications and interviews🥳😁

Thank you all for your advice and support on the forums during this process!!

I would love to give back in whatever way I can, so if anyone has any questions or is looking for advice, please reach out!!
    From Paul Hastings?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    After receiving a TC offer from a US firm after many unsuccessful applications and interviews🥳😁

Thank you all for your advice and support on the forums during this process!!

I would love to give back in whatever way I can, so if anyone has any questions or is looking for advice, please reach out!!
    Congratulations on your TC!

Happy Joe Biden GIF by The Democrats

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. For CC's application question, which is: " In no more than 500 words, please tell us about your extra-curricular activities, positions of responsibility and an achievement of importance which you are most proud of. How will these experiences help you excel as a Clifford Chance lawyer?", I wanted to know if they want us to tick off all the competencies they look for in this question itself or can we use the work experience section to do that too? In 500 words, I believe I won't be able to talk about each and every competency so how do you suggest going about this? What competencies should be in this answer vs the work ex entries. These are the competencies :

* Business awareness and problem solving with commercial insight and an ability to identify legal and business issues. You will need an inquisitive mind and an ability to articulate apply your knowledge creatively in a solution-focused manner with an ability to explore and analyse ideas.

* An ability to understand our clients needs and provide exceptional client service, putting clients at the heart of everything you do.

* Leadership and collaboration skills with a natural enthusiasm for being a team player.

* An ability to multi-task, remain organised and thrive through challenges in a fast-paced high-pressure and high-performance environment with demanding deadlines.

* Strong oral and written communication skills, including being reliable and responsive, and providing regular updates to team members when needed.

* An ability to demonstrate a real desire to learn from those around you and with an ambition to progress and gain exposure within the firm and with clients.

* The ability and desire to take pride in your approach to work and your work output, including proactively seeking feedback and taking responsibility for your own career. You will take ownership of your work, being proactive, solution-oriented, accountable, and committed to continuous improvement.

* Knowledge of and a genuine interest in the role, firm and our clients with an understanding of how this aligns with your skillset and career ambitions.

Reactions: Ghassen

Runner

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 9, 2023
    How feasible is it to undertake winter vacation schemes during the conversion course at BPP? Are there exams during the first half of December?
    I think it is very possible given that the exams for Term 1 take place in January 2024 and winter vacation schemes take place a week or two before the Christmas week. It all depends on how organised you plan for your studies and whether or not you are willing to trade-off some consolidation classes before the Winter break.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. For CC's application question, which is: " In no more than 500 words, please tell us about your extra-curricular activities, positions of responsibility and an achievement of importance which you are most proud of. How will these experiences help you excel as a Clifford Chance lawyer?", I wanted to know if they want us to tick off all the competencies they look for in this question itself or can we use the work experience section to do that too? In 500 words, I believe I won't be able to talk about each and every competency so how do you suggest going about this? What competencies should be in this answer vs the work ex entries. These are the competencies :

* Business awareness and problem solving with commercial insight and an ability to identify legal and business issues. You will need an inquisitive mind and an ability to articulate apply your knowledge creatively in a solution-focused manner with an ability to explore and analyse ideas.

* An ability to understand our clients needs and provide exceptional client service, putting clients at the heart of everything you do.

* Leadership and collaboration skills with a natural enthusiasm for being a team player.

* An ability to multi-task, remain organised and thrive through challenges in a fast-paced high-pressure and high-performance environment with demanding deadlines.

* Strong oral and written communication skills, including being reliable and responsive, and providing regular updates to team members when needed.

* An ability to demonstrate a real desire to learn from those around you and with an ambition to progress and gain exposure within the firm and with clients.

* The ability and desire to take pride in your approach to work and your work output, including proactively seeking feedback and taking responsibility for your own career. You will take ownership of your work, being proactive, solution-oriented, accountable, and committed to continuous improvement.

* Knowledge of and a genuine interest in the role, firm and our clients with an understanding of how this aligns with your skillset and career ambitions.
    I wouldn’t expect the need to explicitly claim all of these skills/qualities in a whole application, let alone this question. You can demonstrate some of these elements in the rest of the evidence in your application, such as your work experience but it isn’t necessary to cover all of these point even across your whole application.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , hope you are doing well. I attended a few online events conducted by Freshfields in 2021, didn't apply to them in 2022 but will apply in this cycle. I have forgotten the content of the events that I attended in 2021 but I want to refer to these events in my current application to demonstrate that my interest goes back to 2021. How should I go about doing so? Thanks in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , hope you are doing well. I attended a few online events conducted by Freshfields in 2021, didn't apply to them in 2022 but will apply in this cycle. I have forgotten the content of the events that I attended in 2021 but I want to refer to these events in my current application to demonstrate that my interest goes back to 2021. How should I go about doing so? Thanks in advance.
    Rather than remembering the specific content of the day, can you focus on what you took from the experience or what made you think that they were the right firm for you?

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Rather than remembering the specific content of the day, can you focus on what you took from the experience or what made you think that they were the right firm for you?
    To be honest, I have no notes from the event, literally none. I only remember attending it because I mention it in my work experience entry. In this case, would it be fair if to make a generic statement about what I learnt from the event, for example " I first learned about the 8 seat structure at xyz event dated abc"? Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    To be honest, I have no notes from the event, literally none. I only remember attending it because I mention it in my work experience entry. In this case, would it be fair if to make a generic statement about what I learnt from the event, for example " I first learned about the 8 seat structure at xyz event dated abc"? Thanks.
    Honestly then, I don’t think it is really worthwhile mentioning if there isn’t anything substantial that you took from it that you can remember. I personally wouldn’t make a generic statement either as it’s just going to be just that - generic. You want to avoid that.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.