TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    it really is :( i get the chances of a tc are slim but it’s holding us back from applying to their other opportunities, they told me they’d get back end of september too
    Nope nothing sadly 🤣funny how they are really really active on their social media though haha. Hope we hear back soon 🤞
    I guess, i'll just apply for WVS anyway....

Noodles

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 16, 2023
    if anyones gone through the flex legal online assessment and wouldnt mind giving me some insight i would greatly appreciate it! :)
    Hey, I've done it! It really wasn't too bad, just some multiple choice questions, but unlike TC/Vac scheme applications it does require some legal knowledge so I'd brush up on some basic contract law!

YnoFeedback?

Sep 8, 2023
    Hi, I am applying to McDermott Will & Emery and they have a cover letter as well as several questions that already cover parts of the cover letter, such as why law and why us?

Therefore, what is expected of the cover letter? Should I draft it as usual? It reads: Please provide your covering letter to highlight any additional information you wish to provide in support of your application. (no word count)

@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I am applying to McDermott Will & Emery and they have a cover letter as well as several questions that already cover parts of the cover letter, such as why law and why us?

Therefore, what is expected of the cover letter? Should I draft it as usual? It reads: Please provide your covering letter to highlight any additional information you wish to provide in support of your application. (no word count)

I would make sure the cover letter is only covering things not covered elsewhere.

Consider it more like an opportunity to highlight certain things you haven’t had the opportunity to with other sections of the application, or look at the wording of the other questions carefully and think about what is missing.

For instance, the “why us” question is sometime phrased as “why do you want to train with us”. In this instance, you could focus the answer to this question on the training contract opportunity, but your cover letter could cover more about the firm generally (eg culture/values - the things that would still apply whether you were applying to a paralegal or accounting role within the firm).

Reactions: YnoFeedback?

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, hope you are doing well. I just submitted an incomplete and a blank app to Hogan Lovells by mistake. Although I have written to GR and have asked them for any remedy that they can pursue at their end, I just wanted to know if I could apply via another email? I have heard that the system flags duplicate apps so I am just worried.

YnoFeedback?

Sep 8, 2023
    I would make sure the cover letter is only covering things not covered elsewhere.

Consider it more like an opportunity to highlight certain things you haven’t had the opportunity to with other sections of the application, or look at the wording of the other questions carefully and think about what is missing.

For instance, the “why us” question is sometime phrased as “why do you want to train with us”. In this instance, you could focus the answer to this question on the training contract opportunity, but your cover letter could cover more about the firm generally (eg culture/values - the things that would still apply whether you were applying to a paralegal or accounting role within the firm).
    Thank you for your response. I will take this into consideration.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023

I totally agree with Jessica on what she said, I think you should try and focus on different aspects of the firm in the questions and the cover letter. It might be good to mention opportunities/experiences/volunteering experiences you have not mentioned in the application questions in the cover letter. I would also make sure to highlight some practice areas that the firm excels at, clients they work for, interesting cases that caught your attention and why in the application questions about WHY THE FIRM. I would then stick to the training contract structure, values and any interaction you had with the firm or someone at the firm in the cover letter in order to differentiate your answers! Good luck with it! @YnoFeedback?

Reactions: YnoFeedback?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, hope you are doing well. I just submitted an incomplete and a blank app to Hogan Lovells by mistake. Although I have written to GR and have asked them for any remedy that they can pursue at their end, I just wanted to know if I could apply via another email? I have heard that the system flags duplicate apps so I am just worried.
    You could - but i would just wait for them to come back to you/rectify the situation as the other application will just be flagged as a duplicate based on your personal data.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

IwantaVacSchemePlz

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 17, 2023
    Sorry to hear that! Has anyone else received anything today or in the last days?

Sorry to hear that! Has anyone else received anything today or in the last days?
    not sure if this is helpful, but when I booked my slot, there were only 8 available between the 16-25th october. they may be finalising dates?

D

Deleted member 24543

Just wondering, if I applied to A&O last year for the SVS can I apply again for the direct TC this year? I submitted my app in November 2022 but it says to wait a year before applying again?

Also, they've got multiple options for start dates on the form. Will the start date I pick impede on my chances for a successful app? Say if I pick September 2025 but it's all filled up will they throw out my app, or would they simply offer me the next available start date?

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.