TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Just wondering, if I applied to A&O last year for the SVS can I apply again for the direct TC this year? I submitted my app in November 2022 but it says to wait a year before applying again?

Also, they've got multiple options for start dates on the form. Will the start date I pick impede on my chances for a successful app? Say if I pick September 2025 but it's all filled up will they throw out my app, or would they simply offer me the next available start date?
I think that you can apply for a direct TC this year, I am assuming that the year has passed. I do not think that the start date would impede on your chances on getting the TC, I am sure that the quality of your application (which I am sure is top-notch anyway) will be way more important for being considered for a TC application. If a firm wants you they will be very accommodating to when you want to start anyway so I would not worry about that, do not worry too much about that.
Good luck with the application !! @pleasegivemeavacscheme

M0M007

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 6, 2023
Hello, was wondering, what are the advantages or disadvantages to having a physical as opposed to a virtual AC and vice versa? Also would a Law firm look at u More unfavourably because u choose to do it virtually?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hello, was wondering, what are the advantages or disadvantages to having a physical as opposed to a virtual AC and vice versa? Also would a Law firm look at u More unfavourably because u choose to do it virtually?
Hey @M0M007, I do not think there is any difference in doing it online or in person, it really depends on your circumstances and some law firms allow both because they understand the circumstances of students, so I would not worry about it too much. I understand that it might seem better to participate in person as you would think you can impress people more at the firm but it is not the case in the slightest, I am pretty adamant about that. So, in conclusion, do what is best for you and your availability, if the law firm likes you, they will extend you an offer regardless of if you do the AC online or in-person, that's just my experience.
Good luck with it and congratulations in obtaining one, they are so difficult to get so you should be so proud of yourself!

M0M007

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 6, 2023
Hey @M0M007, I do not think there is any difference in doing it online or in person, it really depends on your circumstances and some law firms allow both because they understand the circumstances of students, so I would not worry about it too much. I understand that it might seem better to participate in person as you would think you can impress people more at the firm but it is not the case in the slightest, I am pretty adamant about that. So, in conclusion, do what is best for you and your availability, if the law firm likes you, they will extend you an offer regardless of if you do the AC online or in-person, that's just my experience.
Good luck with it and congratulations in obtaining one, they are so difficult to get so you should be so proud of yourself!
Thank you Axel I appreciate the response! Did you happen to do your AC virtual ? if so how was your experience doing it? And did you find building rapport harder?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24543

If it’s of any help, I ended up passing my virtual AC but failing another in person AC :’-) The virtual AC allowed me multiple moments to compose myself and not be too wary of my body gesture and language. I also could glance at my notes from time to time (don't read off them of course) but it gave me more leeway to refresh myself on bullet points for different questions. I felt somewhat more confident in the end!
I’m sure you’ll flourish in both. Personally my in person AC ended up being intimidating for me (literally felt like the partner was judging me as I spoke).

It was defo more intense in person, sometimes you also meet more people on the AC and inevitably go through the process of comparing interview experiences and it ends up tugging at your mind a bit whereas virtual Acs for me were an individual experience. I know some people are of the opposite view too though, that in person ACs might help them perform better because they're better at carrying conversations in person.

D

Deleted member 24543

I think that you can apply for a direct TC this year, I am assuming that the year has passed. I do not think that the start date would impede on your chances on getting the TC, I am sure that the quality of your application (which I am sure is top-notch anyway) will be way more important for being considered for a TC application. If a firm wants you they will be very accommodating to when you want to start anyway so I would not worry about that, do not worry too much about that.
Good luck with the application !! @pleasegivemeavacscheme
Thank you for your kindness always Axel!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Thank you Axel I appreciate the response! Did you happen to do your AC virtual ? if so how was your experience doing it? And did you find building rapport harder?
all my Acs were virtual so I've never experienced an AC in person (apart from my TC interview during my vacation scheme which was in person). From my experience, as long as you are true to yourself and you speak your truth and you are a confident and nice person, you will build a rapport with anyone! So I never struggled with connecting with my interviewers, I love talking to people so I really did not struggle. Things that help me were:

1. Be extremely prepared for the interview and the task. I made sure to be very prepared, or at least feel like I was super prepared for any potential question about the firm they might have asked me.
  2. Be confident. Whenever you receive an AC you already know they want you, so remembering that they saw potential in you is fundamental, so always be confident and have that thought in the back of your mind.
  3. Ask questions at the end. You need to show that you are interested in the firm and the interviewers as much as they are interested in getting to know you, so I always made sure to ask questions at the end about their experience at the firm and just making sure to let them speak about themselves (you know lawyers love to talk about themselves!)
In conclusion, I did not find creating a rapport harder in any capacity, if anything I was more chill cause I was at home looking at a screen. As long as you feel as prepared as you can be and you present yourself in a professional but also personable way, I am sure you will be fine!
Good luck again and congratulations for the AC again! @M0M007

M0M007

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 6, 2023
all my Acs were virtual so I've never experienced an AC in person (apart from my TC interview during my vacation scheme which was in person). From my experience, as long as you are true to yourself and you speak your truth and you are a confident and nice person, you will build a rapport with anyone! So I never struggled with connecting with my interviewers, I love talking to people so I really did not struggle. Things that help me were:

1. Be extremely prepared for the interview and the task. I made sure to be very prepared, or at least feel like I was super prepared for any potential question about the firm they might have asked me.
  2. Be confident. Whenever you receive an AC you already know they want you, so remembering that they saw potential in you is fundamental, so always be confident and have that thought in the back of your mind.
  3. Ask questions at the end. You need to show that you are interested in the firm and the interviewers as much as they are interested in getting to know you, so I always made sure to ask questions at the end about their experience at the firm and just making sure to let them speak about themselves (you know lawyers love to talk about themselves!)
In conclusion, I did not find creating a rapport harder in any capacity, if anything I was more chill cause I was at home looking at a screen. As long as you feel as prepared as you can be and you present yourself in a professional but also personable way, I am sure you will be fine!
Good luck again and congratulations for the AC again! @M0M007
Thank you! I really appreiciate this a lot :) very helpful

lmurph

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 13, 2022
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any experience with Crowell & Moring? I have an AC coming up with them and wondering if anyone had any tips as their email doesn't give much away except to say there will be an interview, technical exercise and group exercise?

Thanks!
Laura

malvern3142

Star Member
Jun 30, 2022
Hi Guys,

I recently found out that a major international firm has been denying I completed a vac scheme I attended a few years ago in one of their offices abroad. (this vac scheme programme runs without any TC considerations for those who attend)

Do recruiters typically do background checks of your work experience history during applications? I only discovered this as my work history was screened when I got accepted for a full-time legal-support role with a firm. My employer flagged this with me and I had to show evidence of my correspondence that I accepted and attended the vac scheme.

I'm sure it's an unintended discrepancy. But I feel very deflated that I invested a lot of money in a programme to help me get a TC, I've spent years applying for the same firm's London office and I've been getting rejected immediately, I'm now wondering if this due to me unknowingly failing work experience background screenings. I also wonder if this has hindered my attempts in applying for TCs with other firms.
I reached out to a couple people that done the programme with me years ago and they actually confirmed they had the same problem with background checks.

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    Hi Guys,

I recently found out that a major international firm has been denying I completed a vac scheme I attended a few years ago in one of their offices abroad. (this vac scheme programme runs without any TC considerations for those who attend)

Do recruiters typically do background checks of your work experience history during applications? I only discovered this as my work history was screened when I got accepted for a full-time legal-support role with a firm. My employer flagged this with me and I had to show evidence of my correspondence that I accepted and attended the vac scheme.

I'm sure it's an unintended discrepancy. But I feel very deflated that I invested a lot of money in a programme to help me get a TC, I've spent years applying for the same firm's London office and I've been getting rejected immediately, I'm now wondering if this due to me unknowingly failing work experience background screenings. I also wonder if this has hindered my attempts in applying for TCs with other firms.
    I reached out to a couple people that done the programme with me years ago and they actually confirmed they had the same problem with background checks.
    I don’t think they do, not during the application process at least. Background checks are usually outsourced to a third party such as Agenda. Agenda would then do the background checks once you accept a job offer (I think). It’s an added cost, which I don’t think any business would unnecessarily go through just for their applicants.

That being said, some firms such as Jones Day apparently do check your references. Perhaps in this case, they contact these firms directly for a reference check but again - I really don’t see how it’s time/cost efficient to do this for every applicant. If that’s the case, I imagine that’s why Hogan Lovells haven’t got back to any of their applicants for the direct training contract route last cycle. Busy bees.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Guys,

In 99.99% of cases, such screening does not happen until you accept an offer so there is no chance of you being rejected from firms because this particular firm will not provide a reference. For the rare instances where screening is done, it’s going to be done prior to final stage interview, and you know it was being done as you would have to provide confirmation you were happy for the firm to be contacted and would have to provide contact details for them too.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.