TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
For Mcdermott Will's TC app - Which financial/business story in the news of the last six months has caught your imagination and why?, Do I have to relate the story to the firm, its only 150 words.
I would just make sure to pick a story that highlights the implications of an event on one of the key areas of the firm so that you do not have to talk about the firm specifically but it will be of interest to them and it will show your commitment to understand the role they have in that specific role, I hope this is helpful! @NJS

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    I would just make sure to pick a story that highlights the implications of an event on one of the key areas of the firm so that you do not have to talk about the firm specifically but it will be of interest to them and it will show your commitment to understand the role they have in that specific role, I hope this is helpful! @NJS
    Do we need to mention a topic that the firm has been involved in, or is it enough for it be something they might have an interest in?

Reactions: axelbeugre

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    I think it is enough for it to be something they might be interested in!
    Thank you. I asked this in the commercial awareness thread but was hopping to get more eyes on it here.

I was thinking about writing about the recent IPO boom and the potential CVC IPO for a commercial awareness question to a firm that is strong in private equity.

Had a good read of this article

www.thecorporatelawacademy.com

CVC mooting IPO launch (again)

CVC mooting IPO launch (again) Image Credit: Postmodern Studio / Shutterstock.com What do you need to know this week? Private equity giant CVC Capital Partners is rumoured to be revisiting its ambitions to offer up to 10% of its shares to...

And was just wondering if there is a good linkage between IPOs and PE? (Hopefully you get what I’m asking?) I don’t really think there is much, only apart from this story, but was just looking for opinions?

norothrow324

Legendary Member
    Apr 11, 2023
    Do you think firms have an unconscious / unspoken bias when assessing non rolling applications and seeing someone that applied early vs last minute? I know on paper it shouldnt make a difference, but is one seen as more eager than the other or does it really not matter at all?

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Do you think firms have an unconscious / unspoken bias when assessing non rolling applications and seeing someone that applied early vs last minute? I know on paper it shouldnt make a difference, but is one seen as more eager than the other or does it really not matter at all?
    I think this is a fair assumption to have but I genuinely do not think this is the case because they should (and I am sure do in fact) factor in many reasons as to why an applicant applied a little bit later compared to another. Also, applying early does not mean having the best application possible, so if you applied early but your application is not up to standards, it will be more appealing for them to accept someone who applied on the deadline but did submit an excellent application. I remember last year on the forum so many people got through some firms despite having applied on the deadline, and a lot of people who applied early were not successful. I think that, ultimately, the quality of the applications is what will set you apart and not when you actually submitted it, if that makes sense. This is my personal opinion though, who knows, you might be right!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I think this is a fair assumption to have but I genuinely do not think this is the case because they should (and I am sure do in fact) factor in many reasons as to why an applicant applied a little bit later compared to another. Also, applying early does not mean having the best application possible, so if you applied early but your application is not up to standards, it will be more appealing for them to accept someone who applied on the deadline but did submit an excellent application. I remember last year on the forum so many people got through some firms despite having applied on the deadline, and a lot of people who applied early were not successful. I think that, ultimately, the quality of the applications is what will set you apart and not when you actually submitted it, if that makes sense. This is my personal opinion though, who knows, you might be right!
    You are spot on with this @axelbeugre - I think the only time the conscious bias comes in is when it is exceptionally close to the deadline (eg in the last hour an application is open), but that is generally because in more cases than not the application is rushed in anyway (and it’s obvious that’s the case).

Edit - I must stress though, a lot of the time you either can’t see when someone has applied or if you can you don’t bother reading it.

Norturn

Premium Member
  • Aug 26, 2023
    Hello! I will be having my first video interview, the questions will be focused on behaviours which are important to be successful at the firm.

Does this mean that the firm plans to assess us using competency style questions?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello! I will be having my first video interview, the questions will be focused on behaviours which are important to be successful at the firm.

Does this mean that the firm plans to assess us using competency style questions?
    Possibly, but not necessarily as they could be strengths based interviews too.

Reactions: Norturn

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Reactions: Jaysen and Norturn

Norturn

Premium Member
  • Aug 26, 2023

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    That's amazing! Thank you so much 😊
    I have applied to Goodwin summer vacation scheme too. I have read about your experience on it and that is really useful :)
    thank you so much and that is so great! I did the spring vacation scheme and I had so much fun in it so I hope you get it!! Good luck with the application cycle!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Norturn

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.