TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

IwantaVacSchemePlz

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 17, 2023
Is everyone else able to view their CC TC application on Vantage?

I couldn't view mine so I contacted grad rec and they didn't receive it lol ( I did submit and received a confirmation email) :(
my vantage glitches out whenever i view it, but on my main portal it says its submitted

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
How long did it take most people to hear back from Slaughter and May after applying?

I sent my application off on 3 November and still haven’t heard anything. Slightly worried I left it too late with the rolling deadline, but also feel as applications still haven’t closed yet, that shouldn’t be an issue?

Samridhi Jain

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 18, 2022
How long did it take most people to hear back from Slaughter and May after applying?

I sent my application off on 3 November and still haven’t heard anything. Slightly worried I left it too late with the rolling deadline, but also feel as applications still haven’t closed yet, that shouldn’t be an issue?
quick Q: Is it still worth applying to S&M? I know it's a rolling deadline but I've done very little research on them before and have some notes. (I'm talking about the summer work ex. scheme)

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    there's no breakdown. they will just let you know if you have passed or failed.

I received this:

"Dear _____

Thank you for completing our online Watson Glaser test.

Unfortunately, you did not reach the required level to progress in our selection process, and it is with regret that we are unable to consider your application further.

You will not be able to sit another test this recruitment cycle, however in the next academic year you will be able to apply again.

Due to the large number of applications we receive we are unable to provide individual feedback at this stage, but we would encourage you to look at our open access virtual internships if you are pursuing a career in commercial law.

We wish you all the best in the future.

Kindest Regards,"
    Thank you!

Reactions: Samridhi Jain

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    quick Q: Is it still worth applying to S&M? I know it's a rolling deadline but I've done very little research on them before and have some notes. (I'm talking about the summer work ex. scheme)
    S&M’s application is a little different to others in the sense that it’s a CV and cover letter. If you’ve already got a CV in decent shape and feel you can write a 500ish cover letter (which certainly seems doable before the deadline), I’d say go for it.

Obviously it’s better to apply earlier if you can with rolling deadlines, but I’d still bet a lot on a good chunk of applicants still applying the few days before the deadline shuts. At the end of the day, there’s nothing to lose through sending off an app :)

Reactions: Samridhi Jain

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 14, 2023
    Hey it’s just an email. But according to other threads some people seem to receive this, and some don’t. So makes me wonder whether it’s a sign of whether you passed the SJT

Dear XXX,

Thank you for taking the time to apply and complete the interactive assessment. We hope that it has given you an insight into the working environment and types of situations you may encounter as a trainee lawyer at Allen & Overy.

Our team is now reviewing your application and you should expect to hear an outcome from us as soon as possible.

A&O Early Careers Recruitment Team
    Hello! Did you receive your AC invite? Is this a confirmation of passIng your SJT? Thanks!

johnnn821

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    Oh nice, thanks! I didn't receive the automatic email - so had to email them to ask if I had passed.

Is there any other relevant info in this email?
    Nah not really. Only the "You will be informed whether you are invited to the video interview stage on or before Friday 8th December 2023." Good luck!

• 🤝
    Reactions: sxw517

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know at which point firms contact referees? Is it for all interviewees or potential offers?
    Typically only once you have accepted an offer. Some firms will contact academic referees only before interview (face to face interview stage).

However, they have to ask your permission to do this, so you will be aware of when they want to request it.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.