TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

amrita6399

Valued Member
Premium Member
  • Jul 13, 2023
    As far as I know, L&W does not offer a direct TC route. Wanted to confirm here since I asked them if they sponsor visas for international students for VS and it was a negative so I'm a little bummed not being able to able to apply to the firm :/
    I had attended an event in October 2023 and the Graduate Recruitment told me that they do sponsor visas for the VS.

Reactions: Samridhi Jain

amrita6399

Valued Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 13, 2023
    AO has been very slow with their batches….? Only a handful of people getting anything - wonder if they’ve invited everyone and just going to send mass PFOs soon 🙈
    They did send out some PFOs last week, but I'm not sure what is going on. I haven't received any communication from the firm, after the application.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Probably not the space for a rant but needed to get off my chest. I'm in my final year of university and had a vacation scheme over summer at a firm with a usually high conversion, but I didn't get a training contract offer (nor did most on my scheme, not sure if we just weren't a strong cohort or they weren't taking as many?). I worked so hard on my applications last year to avoid being in the position of applying to firms during my final year, yet unfortunately here I am anyway. Now I also worry that having the scheme on my CV but having not converted it might be a bit of a red flag to other firms, especially because as I mentioned this firm usually has a high conversion rate.

I can't stand the waiting game. I have applied to many firms but have only got 2 responses (rejections :/ ) from 2. This week has been difficult, I'm struggling to focus on my university work because I just keep refreshing my emails and portals, falling into rabbit holes of different career paths, Masters degrees etc. My friends all know their plans next year, and I'm beginning to feel left behind and demotivated. I know this is building my resilience and everyone gets rejected at some point etc... but I'm just struggling to juggle everything. Apologies for the rant but just couldn't keep it in any longer and hope this makes others feel less alone if they are in a similar place.
    Hey @powerpuffgirl,

I am so sorry to read how you feel and the process of applying to law firms' vacation schemes and training contract is so tedious sometimes. I genuinely feel like it is so difficult to maintain your motivation throughout this process. Additionally, I also see how comparison is causing even more damage to oneself when it comes to this process.

Your feelings are valid and I am sure that many feel the same way, however, I personally believe that it is extremely important to remember that you are not on your own. Many went through this process and many struggled to get where they want to go. During my application cycle last year, I have met incredibly smart individuals (and way better commercially prepared individuals than me) who were applying to vacation schemes and it was their fifth or sixth time, whilst I was applying for the first time. These people, despite the many rejections, were extremely passionate about the profession and had many goals and dreams that they were still fighting for.

I found meeting these people extremely inspiring and motivating as it allowed me to keep applying despite the many rejections I was receiving. I understand that it is extremely difficult to keep applying and seeing only rejections, but I personally started seeing good results after my 10th application last year so I always encourage everyone to keep applying, have faith in the process and learn from your mistakes during the process.

You should celebrate the fact that you had the chance to experience what it is like to work in a law firm in your vacation scheme, unfortunately, not everyone is able to do that, so you have an advantage. And I do not think that not converting a vacation scheme will be detrimental to your success this year. I met many candidates with 4 or more vacation schemes that they did not manage to convert and they were successful the following years. The sector knows it is difficult to get an offer even when you secure a vacation scheme so nobody will judge you for that.

I really hope I was able to give you a little bit of motivation and keep applying and believing in yourself because you are meant to achieve your dreams!

Good luck with the cycle!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    As far as I know, L&W does not offer a direct TC route. Wanted to confirm here since I asked them if they sponsor visas for international students for VS and it was a negative so I'm a little bummed not being able to able to apply to the firm :/
    I am pretty sure they do but they open it in the summer, I have a couple of friends who applied this past summer so that is how I know! Unfortunately, many firms do not sponsor visas for two weeks which is understandable even though it is not nice, especially as an international student myself!

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Me neither, don’t know whether to email them since the deadline was on the 31st October to see if they can give an indication of when we might hear. As far as I can see on this forum no on has heard from them yet either
    That may be a good idea, I would give them a bit of time though - as it has only been 5 weeks.

Reactions: LB24

MR218

Standard Member
    Mar 9, 2019
    Does anyone know in which cycle you should apply to Freshfields as a PGDL student? On their website it looks like they want you to apply during the summer window, but I just wanted to confirm that’s correct?

Shreya Verma

Valued Member
    Sep 4, 2023
    I think they do provide direct tc. This was mentioned in the direct tc thread. But this year they invited apps for 2025. So for 2026 we need to wait for the next year.

Samridhi Jain

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 18, 2022
    I had attended an event in October 2023 and the Graduate Recruitment told me that they do sponsor visas for the VS.
    oh, weird because I emailed them just a few days back and they said they don't. But I guess their Direct TC apps will open summer of 2024 as someone said on the forum so I'll apply then! Thanks, folks!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.