TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
maybe you're right. A&O PFO received around an hour ago. I'm insanely disappointed - A&O was an imp one for me :/
This is my first cycle, I'm a penultimate year international law student so it's super hard to even be qualified to apply to VS and I have legal experience so I was thinking direct TC would make sense but I don't know - it's just so hard to get back up and keep applying to others. Apologies for the rant, probably a way for me to deal with it.
Sorry to hear that. When did you apply and complete the tests?

Reactions: 191919191

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2022
maybe you're right. A&O PFO received around an hour ago. I'm insanely disappointed - A&O was an imp one for me :/
This is my first cycle, I'm a penultimate year international law student so it's super hard to even be qualified to apply to VS and I have legal experience so I was thinking direct TC would make sense but I don't know - it's just so hard to get back up and keep applying to others. Apologies for the rant, probably a way for me to deal with it.
Stay strong and take your talent elsewhere. One suggestion (perhaps unsolicited on my end!) is to apply for a range of firms, not just the top ones. Any experience is good for your profile, whether or not you want to secure a TC at the end of the scheme with that particular firm. Having options during the application process also increases confidence, so don't be afraid to apply outside of MC/US (but still sponsors visas).

Shreya Verma

Valued Member
Sep 4, 2023
Apologies to hear that. Did you get the feedback and next steps email?

BC2000

Mar 6, 2018
One thought i had is that there could be some sort of quick run through and scoring of all applications when non-rolling, which probably results in a lot of people being caught in the middle (ie good but not automatically over the line); hence time it is taking for them to re-review and score and results coming out as a trickle…regardless it is all very frustrating!

norothrow324

Legendary Member
Apr 11, 2023
One thought i had is that there could be some sort of quick run through and scoring of all applications when non-rolling, which probably results in a lot of people being caught in the middle (ie good but not automatically over the line); hence time it is taking for them to re-review and score and results coming out as a trickle…regardless it is all very frustrating!
That’s probably what it is - good to know the stress ends tomorrow for both CC and AO!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre or anyone,

What is the best structure for a cover letter? I am writing my application for Freshfields and i find that every time I do a Cover letter i never pass application stage.
Just to stress Freshfields is not a cover letter, it’s a personal statement and so will have a slightly different approach than a cover letter.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you, I have got some great advice soo far but just wanted to clarify should i still follow the why law, why them and why me approach? or tackle it a different way.
You can take that approach, but you don’t have to. The great thing about the personal statement is that it’s really up to you to focus on what you need to showcase.

Also be mindful of how the statement fits into your wider application, as you are providing a lot of other detail elsewhere in your application.

Reactions: jq and Legalstalker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.