TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Anyone know roughly what percentage of trainees Freshfields recruits from its direct TC application.
I'm not sure percentage wise, but isn't their VS only open to those in the penultimate year of university? I'm pretty sure it would have to be a sizeable chunk from direct applicants, otherwise they're selling themselves a bit short.

KSV

Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2019
@Jessica Booker am I okay to add Forage work experience to the question: 'Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector.'? Grad rec say it's to demonstrate any research you've done into a career in law. This is for the Hogan Lovells application - there's no other questions asking 'why law'. Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker am I okay to add Forage work experience to the question: 'Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector.'? Grad rec say it's to demonstrate any research you've done into a career in law. This is for the Hogan Lovells application - there's no other questions asking 'why law'. Thank you!
Yes - I think this is a good section to add this type of detail in.

aishvmo

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2024
Hi guys and @Jessica Booker may I ask what the general position of law firms are regarding mitigating circumstances? Will it affect my application ?

I got a 2:1 overall for my degree but in my second year, I had a 56% overall percentage. Just prior to my exam period, my father was diagnosed with advanced primary glaucoma and he had to go through a series of surgeries and I was his primary caregiver at the time which of course affected my second year grades.

I am a bit concerned that dislosing it may seem like I am unable to cope along life's stress if I were a trainee. Please advise.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys and @Jessica Booker may I ask what the general position of law firms are regarding mitigating circumstances? Will it affect my application ?

I got a 2:1 overall for my degree but in my second year, I had a 56% overall percentage. Just prior to my exam period, my father was diagnosed with advanced primary glaucoma and he had to go through a series of surgeries and I was his primary caregiver at the time which of course affected my second year grades.

I am a bit concerned that dislosing it may seem like I am unable to cope along life's stress if I were a trainee. Please advise.
These forms of circumstances are not the same as life in a law firm, and so it won't be seen that you couldn't cope with life's stresses. It will be seen that you had to make a major commitment to something outside of your studies by being a primary caregiver.

These are definitely mitigating circumstances and in the vast majority of firms will seriously take them into consideration.

If your university was aware of the circumstances, then see if you can get a reference from your personal tutor/faculty office.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    For anyone who has taken the Osborne Clarke assessment do you find it you’ve been unsuccessful if you don’t meet the benchmark straight away or do you get a PFO after the deadline? I’ve been meaning to do the test since November

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.