Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre I've just made a TC application for Freshfields which I've just realised their personal statement word limit was 850 words, which I have gone over the word limit. What should I do?
You can try and send a revised statement that is 850 words, but I wouldn’t be overly surprised if they have to take your first application. How much it will impact your applications review with it being over the 850 words is hard to determine unfortunately though.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I attended an application masterclass by Freshfields a few weeks ago, in this the grad rec rep mentioned that we weren't required to provide GCSE grades for the Trainee Associate Programme, however, on the vantage form there is a page for secondary education results (GCSEs), is this the same reason as why it's there for the CV upload option? @Jessica Booker

Thanks in advance!!
Vantage is a broader application used across firms, so it maybe that Vantage are asking you for this but Freshfields don’t need it.

I would potentially see if you can complete your application without the need to submit GCSE details. It might just be optional.

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Vantage is a broader application used across firms, so it maybe that Vantage are asking you for this but Freshfields don’t need it.

I would potentially see if you can complete your application without the need to submit GCSE details. It might just be optional.
    I see, thank you!

I have realised that I cannot submit without uploading them, so I will

hannah04

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2023
    just submitted my freshfields app and realized that in my personal statement I spelt it "trainee associate program" rather than "trainee associate programme" as they do on the website. does this matter as both spellings are technically grammatically correct?

FutureTS13

Star Member
  • Dec 5, 2023
    I attended an application masterclass by Freshfields a few weeks ago, in this the grad rec rep mentioned that we weren't required to provide GCSE grades for the Trainee Associate Programme, however, on the vantage form there is a page for secondary education results (GCSEs), is this the same reason as why it's there for the CV upload option? @Jessica Booker

Thanks in advance!!
    To add onto this, do we need to provide our A-level grades?

Seven

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 15, 2022
    just submitted my freshfields app and realized that in my personal statement I spelt it "trainee associate program" rather than "trainee associate programme" as they do on the website. does this matter as both spellings are technically grammatically correct?
    Not a problem. What's more important is staying consistent with your spelling.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Technically program is not correct as it’s a US spelling rather than U.K. - so it would be similar to spelling something like color or organize. Alternatively program in the U.K. refer to a set of computer code.

But I very much doubt it will be something that solely leads to your application being unsuccessful. Back in the day 99% of the trainees recruited would have a least one error like this in their application form - and those were the people recruited.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just realised that in my Freshfields PS, I accidentally used program once and everywhere else used ‘programme’. I am hoping this won’t be picked up or they will be lenient with typos. Thoughts? @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre
    See my above post. I wouldn’t say the firm is lenient on typos generally - the more there are the more it will be an issue, but if this is truly the only error, it is unlikely to have a major impact on your application.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Just realised that in my Freshfields PS, I accidentally used program once and everywhere else used ‘programme’. I am hoping this won’t be picked up or they will be lenient with typos. Thoughts? @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre
    I would not worry too much about this, chances are they will not even notice so do not dwell on it and I am sure you wrote an amazing personal statement.

Things like these happen all the time so do not panic and be hopeful!

Good luck with the application!

Reactions: I’m_Batman

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.